What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Mac devices, delete pic from one deletes from all.

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts.
I/we have two iPhones and two iPads on one Apple ID and one iCloud account.

Pictures taken by or transfered to any single device are added to ALL devices.

If I want to delete a pic from a single device I cannot, it gets deleted from ALL devices.

How can I delete a pic from 1/2/3 devices and leave it on the 4th device.

Now to complicate matters I have just bought a Macbook Pro, do I use my existing Apple ID, iCloud account or cfeate a new ones so I don't get the same problem.
The Macbook is intended for my serious photographic stuff.

TIA
Dave

Moderation notice: This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/forum-rules-everybody-please-read.2119/
No External Links

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is how iCloud Photo Library works. If you don't want the same photos on all your devices, turn off iCloud Photo Library in the Photos settings.

Photo Stream is similar, in that all new photos taken on each device are put in Photo Stream, and show up on all devices. Deleting from Photo Stream deletes it everywhere (except, possible, the computer). If you want a photo permanently on that device, you need to copy it to the Camera Roll (or All Photos if using iCloud Photo Library).

The main differences is that iCloud Photo Library is permanent, and counts against your iCloud storage limit. Photo Stream is meant to be temporary, a convenient way to copy photos between devices. It will only hold so many photos before the older ones are deleted automatically. On the other hand, it does not count against your iCloud storage limit.

Note: if all your devices and computers are using iCloud Photo Library, then Photo Stream becomes redundant.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I doubt you'll find the new Photos app on the MacBook sufficient for serious photographic work. It's a nice improvement (in some ways) over iPhotos, but not a pro-grade app. Since Aperture is end-of-life, you'll probably want to look into using Adobe Lightroom.

At this point I doubt there is any direct workflow between Lightroom, Photos, and iCloud Photo Library. You'll probably want to investigate other solutions. I believe Adobe has a Lightroom companion app for iOS, which might help.

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt you'll find the new Photos app on the MacBook sufficient for serious photographic work. It's a nice improvement (in some ways) over iPhotos, but not a pro-grade app. Since Aperture is end-of-life, you'll probably want to look into using Adobe Lightroom.

At this point I doubt there is any direct workflow between Lightroom, Photos, and iCloud Photo Library. You'll probably want to investigate other solutions. I believe Adobe has a Lightroom companion app for iOS, which might help.

Very many thanks, much appreciated.

Would I be better off using a new Apple ID for the new Macbook?

I was also considering installing LR5 on the new Mackbook.

Regards

Dave

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'll want to keep the same Apple ID so that your contacts, calendars, email, and other stuff remains synced. It will also be useful for documents and media other than photos.

Just don't turn on iCloud Photo Library on the MacBook. As long as you don't do that, then the photo library on the Mac will remain completely local. You can still use Photo Stream if you want too, to make importing new photos (taken on the iOS devices) easier.

There's always the included Image Capture app. It is for manual (USB) import of pictures from iOS and camera devices.

Or use one of a dozen other ways to do it.

If you decide to use LR5, then you can probably ignore the Photos app (after turning off iCloud Photo Library).

OP
D

Dave in Wales

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll want to keep the same Apple ID so that your contacts, calendars, email, and other stuff remains synced. It will also be useful for documents and media other than photos.

Just don't turn on iCloud Photo Library on the MacBook. As long as you don't do that, then the photo library on the Mac will remain completely local. You can still use Photo Stream if you want too, to make importing new photos (taken on the iOS devices) easier.

There's always the included Image Capture app. It is for manual (USB) import of pictures from iOS and camera devices.

Or use one of a dozen other ways to do it.

If you decide to use LR5, then you can probably ignore the Photos app (after turning off iCloud Photo Library).

Once again, very many thanks for your time and expertise, very much appreciated.

Dave

Most reactions