What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For all IPad 2 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
I treat all my possesions with respect and look after them. Every apple product ive had has been put in a case from day one and looked after. Fans of apple will never bring themselves to admit the quality of the products is bad. I can only tell it how it is.

I cannot 'admit' that the quality of Apple is bad simply because, like the other members, I have never had such a traumatic experience with their products. Presently I am using an iPhone 3G which is 3 years old, and an iPod Classic coming on 4 years old. If their products were such a disaster (as your experience seems to indicate), consumers would vote with their wallets and Apple's market share would have gone down the toilet.

+1

I've never owned a Mac and don't ever plan to, but Apple's mobile devices have held up well for me. My iPod is many generations old and looks like it's been dragged over rocks and still works fine. I dropped my iPad 1 on a corner, dinged it about nine months ago, and it's worked fine. I've dropped my iPad 2 twice and it works fine. (I shattered my iPhone 4 screen with a drop onto ceramic tile and an Apple store replaced it for free as a courtesy.) My gripes are with iTunes and the app store, not Apple hardware.

If any hardware maker failed me, I'd avoid it. I'd consider myself foolish if I repeatedly gave any company the chance to fail me.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
And again :roll: as I said before the iPad is a great device

Nobody here is disputing you that the iPad isn't a great device. Rather, you said and I quote, "A great device let down by apple build quality", which in many of our personal experience with Apple is not the case, least of all having the devices breaking within a year as you have. You may very well find yourself in a minority of one here...

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
charlyee said:
7.95, for not having OBEX File Transfer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Just install Celeste from Cydia. Bluetooth how Apple should have done it. Oh and a 9 here.

- Sent from my Highly-Personalized jailbroken iPad 2! :D

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
I treat all my possesions with respect and look after them. Every apple product ive had has been put in a case from day one and looked after. Fans of apple will never bring themselves to admit the quality of the products is bad. I can only tell it how it is.
Non of my other electrical products seem to die like apples. Even my xbox never got RROD.

I take offense to that. I may be a fanboy but I am not blind to Apple's faults. However, cheap hardware build is not one of them.

PS. I highly doubt that the iPad is THAT fragile. And since it's the camera, just take it to be replaced. Besides, you are the minority here. In my experience, Apple products have a higher build quality. Compared to my laptop, which is the same age as my ex-iPhone 3GS, the iPhone looked better than my laptop. (I sold it in January). And I took my iPhone EVERYWHERE, dropped it SEVERAL TIMES (usually with only a thin case covering it), AND exposed it to moisture (that includes rain and showers). It STILL looked better than my laptop who was bought within one month of it (in April 2009). And my laptop wasn't even mobile. So, I disagree that the broken camera on your iPad is an issue experienced by the majority. End rant.

PSS. Did it occur to you that it might be software based? The camera app was gone after I stupidly did some stuff to the filesystem, but it was nothing a restore couldn't fix. Besides, I'm harder on my stuff, and the iPhone still fared well, even after almost two years of tough (bordering violent) use. In fact, even managed to sell it for around $432 (current exchange rate) on eBay last January.

Last edited:

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:

Nobody here is disputing you that the iPad isn't a great device. Rather, you said and I quote, "A great device let down by apple build quality", which in many of our personal experience with Apple is not the case, least of all having the devices breaking within a year as you have. You may very well find yourself in a minority of one here...

Youve only gotta do some searching about the net to realise how much these things break.
In fairness my first 2 iPods didn't physically break but both had the ! pop up with in a year.

brian_fantana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
Non of my other electrical products seem to die like apples. Even my xbox never got RROD.

I take offense to that. I may be a fanboy but I am not blind to Apple's faults. However, cheap hardware build is not one of them.

PS. I highly doubt that the iPad is THAT fragile. And since it's the camera, just take it to be replaced. Besides, you are the minority here. In my experience, Apple products have a higher build quality. Compared to my laptop, which is the same age as my ex-iPhone 3GS, the iPhone looked better than my laptop. (I sold it in January). And I took my iPhone EVERYWHERE, dropped it SEVERAL TIMES (usually with only a thin case covering it), AND exposed it to moisture (that includes rain and showers). It STILL looked better than my laptop who was bought within one month of it (in April 2009). And my laptop wasn't even mobile. So, I disagree that the broken camera on your iPad is an issue experienced by the majority. End rant.

PSS. Did it occur to you that it might be software based? The camera app was gone after I stupidly did some stuff to the filesystem, but it was nothing a restore couldn't fix. Besides, I'm harder on my stuff, and the iPhone still fared well, even after almost two years of tough (bordering violent) use. In fact, even managed to sell it for around $432 (current exchange rate) on eBay last January.

You can take offense all you want but that is just being silly. Obviously on an ipad forum 99% of people are going shoot me down if i say something about an Apple product.
We can spend all day throwing our stats about what ive got that hasnt and has broken around. At the end of the day i couldnt give an rats arse if people buy apple products or not. Im simply telling my experiences.
I can understand why they are made like crap. they are made in china by people paid peanuts who a treated so bad they kill themselves at an alarming rate.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:
You can take offense all you want but that is just being silly. Obviously on an ipad forum 99% of people are going shoot me down if i say something about an Apple product.
We can spend all day throwing our stats about what ive got that hasnt and has broken around. At the end of the day i couldnt give an rats arse if people buy apple products or not. Im simply telling my experiences.
I can understand why they are made like crap. they are made in china by people paid peanuts who a treated so bad they kill themselves at an alarming rate.

Yes, exactly. Your experiences. Doesn't mean they are "made like crap", as you so eloquently disclosed. Other people don't have your problems, you are the minority here. If it bothers you so bad, just take it back to ANY Apple Store or Authorized Reseller- they'll be happy to replace your iPad for you free of charge. You might even get upgraded to a better model.

And of course, they are made in China, look around- almost all things are made there. It's because the Chinese people there do not know the lifestyle we have. They do not have a work environment like ours- but they are happy with what they have. It's the reason so many people outsource their labor to China. The Chinese are quite willing to work for $10 a day.

As for the suicides, Apple has already taken measures to counter them. It is pertinent to know Apple employs a Chinese company called FoxConn to manufacture the millions of quality Apple products worldwide today. As such, Apple is not directly responsible for the workers' welfare- FoxConn is. However, it is good that Apple has taken an active role in caring for the workers' welfare, and is actively trying to do so.

Therefore, it is proven that your argument is flawed, and full of fallacies. It shows that you have been biased in your opinions, based on your sour experience with your own Apple product. However, I refuse to discuss this any further- I have been hijacking this thread enough as it is. Feel free to PM me your counter-argument if you wish- best of luck to you with your 'broken' iPad.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Youve only gotta do some searching about the net to realise how much these things break.

If I did some searching, of course I'd find someone somewhere with something negative to say (the Internet being what it is) - but for every negative story, I'd find a heap of more positives, so that doesn't really mean anything.

But I can speak to the quality of Apple products from personal firsthand experience, and so does everyone else here who has refuted you. Let me point out (again) that you said, "Took a risk wit the ipad after every other apple product ive had has broken within a year and they let me down again." Perhaps it is just your incredibly bad luck, but this is not the case for the vast majority of users, here or anywhere else.

As KaiHD rightly points out, we're wasting our time with you.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:

The factory that makes Apple devices makes a host of devices for many other electronics makers, lol. You'd better avoid all those brands, too.

I figure working at any factory in China sucks. But as you might google and learn, Foxconn (the hardware maker in question) pays better than most factories in China. Of course, I still wouldn't want to be working there or in any other factory in the world, even the U.S.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brian_fantana said:

In fairness my first 2 iPods didn't physically break but both had the ! pop up with in a year.

Sorry. I'm not a fan boy of anybody's product. But while "doing some searching" might be interesting and suggestive, it cannot substitute for a rigorous examination of problems with iPads or any similar product. I might pay more attention to something like a Consumer Reports survey of iPad owners.

rogerperk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How likely would you recommend the IPad 2 to you friends or family?
On Scale 1-10
1 - being not all likely
10 - being extremely likely

Honestly? Only a 5 or 6. Maybe 7. I like some of the functionality like battery life, sharp image, and the rotating screen but EVERYTHING you need to do work costs! Word processing, spreadsheet, etc. that I can use for work or play all cost and that isn't the case with many other systems. Plus, I don't want to "bond" with Apple - I don't want emails or any other contact, I just want to use the tool. I find Apple intrusive in that sense. If a better Android or MS platform was available I'd have probably gone with that just for interchangeability. Sorry Apple fans!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rogerperk said:
Honestly? Only a 5 or 6. Maybe 7. I like some of the functionality like battery life, sharp image, and the rotating screen but EVERYTHING you need to do work costs! Word processing, spreadsheet, etc. that I can use for work or play all cost and that isn't the case with many other systems. Plus, I don't want to "bond" with Apple - I don't want emails or any other contact, I just want to use the tool. I find Apple intrusive in that sense. If a better Android or MS platform was available I'd have probably gone with that just for interchangeability. Sorry Apple fans!

When I think about how much I'd have to pay for usual Windows or Mac software, vs the cost of an iPad app (many of which are, surprise, free!) I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here. And Apple generally leaves me well alone: the only emails I ever get from them are app receipts and maybe twice a year, upcoming conference announcements. (And they never ever call me to ask how my day's been or how the kids are doing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions