What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FM Transmitter for iPad?

GlenH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to stream my music from my iPad through my car radio. Has anyone found such a device for their iPad? Can we use something that is made for the iPod Touch?
Thanks,
GlenH

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The FM transmitter I bought for my iPod touch should work fine. I plugs in to the headphone jack...

I've never tried it because using the FM transmitter sucks in my area. Too much signal wash from radio stations. I ended up buying a cheap cassette tape adapter (which also plugs into the headphone jack) for my touch. The sound quality is MUCH better than the FM transmitter and cost about a third as much.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Another option that I like better is a Bluetooth to Aux adapter.

You connect the bluetooth adapter into your cars Auxiliary port, then the ipad sends the audio to your stereo wirelessly via bluetooth.

another interesting but pricey option is the "ibiza iFIPO Bluetooth Audio receiver" This is a small device that connects to anything you have with an ipod dock connection and recieves bluetooth audio and plays it to the device its connected to. So if you have a home stereo with ipod connector or a car with ipod connector you can use this to send the audio via bluetooth and even allow you to change songs and stuff via car stereo or steering wheel if the car supports that.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I Just use the generic one I originally bought for my iPod nano and it works fine with all the "I" devices i've tried. Only drawback is the short cable it has and while I can stuff the iPod in the ashtray, in use the Pad sloshes about on the passenger seat. Need to find a safer anchorage if I use it in ernest.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have installed a parrot system which is direct connect for iPhone hands free etc however it also offers blue tooth to connect
I connected the iPad and boom. Avitar full sound through out the car
Cost for kit Aussie is 550 installed will work with other mobiles plus iPad try parrot.com for details

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both my 1998 Toyota Sienna minivan and 1999 Jeep Cherokee came with AM/FM/Cassette players. So I was at Wal-Mart one day and they had these Dual AM/FM radios for $40! There is no CD player (that one costs $50!), but it does have an "AUX" port and a USB jack that you can use for powering your iPod. They sound great!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Both my 1998 Toyota Sienna minivan and 1999 Jeep Cherokee came with AM/FM/Cassette players. So I was at Wal-Mart one day and they had these Dual AM/FM radios for $40! There is no CD player (that one costs $50!), but it does have an "AUX" port and a USB jack that you can use for powering your iPod. They sound great!

they have cassette to headphone jack adapters as well.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have gone threw FM transmitters and cassette adapters (Wife's van) and all sound like crap. I gave up and bought both of us new JVC headunits that have iPod\USB inputs on them. Now I can control my iPod from the head unit itself.

(but this does not work with iPads and most aftermarket head units, I have read)

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some FM transmitters allow you to program the frequency to use. I bought a Griffin one that allows you to switch it use a European FM station range (which is not used by any station in the US). The clarity is much much better since no station can come near that frequency.

I found out about it reading reviews on Amazon.

Edit: It's the Griffin iTrip and when you set it to European mode, it lets you go down to the 87.x range. But your car has to be able to tune down that low.

Last edited:

Linkage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found that my iPods transmitter did no work at all on the iPad so i went and forked out for a bluetooth one, which works great, just not as cheap :(

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread gave me the idea to try the FM adaptor I bought with my first gen Nano.

iPad said "device not supported. Dismiss."

Oh, well, at least I tried...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I found that my iPods transmitter did no work at all on the iPad so i went and forked out for a bluetooth one, which works great, just not as cheap :(

bluetooth to AUX will give you far better quality than the FM transmitters. and there is no need to change channels or look for a station that works in the area your at.

FM transmitters tent to work and then cut out as you drive and other radio station signal levels change.

Mayo7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might be a little off topic but i ordered this so i can connect wirelessly to my home speakers:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Solutions-BMR-10-Bluetooth/dp/B0035229EA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278988109&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Bluelink Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics[/ame]

I hope it works out well.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mayo7 that looks like a neat adapter. I was also looking at the Belkin F8Z492

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492tt-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B003ICW4LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279016810&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver: Electronics[/ame]

I am not looking for something for home use, but in my car. I have an older car (1991) and it has a very nice sound system with a cassette player, but I really don't to mess with one of those cassette adapters. I also want to keep the original radio in the car. This Belkin unit comes with a "wal wart" power supply, but I am sure I can get something to convert 12 volts into whatever this thing requires.

Now all I need is a good set of amplified speakers in one box. I know I can buy a separate amp and speakers, but I also did not plan on re-engineering my whole sound system.

The search continues...

Most reactions

Latest posts