What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First time jailbreaker

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 16GB WiFi iPad. Although I've rooted my Droid, I've never jailbroken any Apple products. I'm aware that they are more or less the same thing.. But I've seen someone's jailbroken iPod touch and it looked a lot different and had some GUI differences from the original i believe.

I want to jailbreak my iPad so I can install "unauthorized" iPad apps, but nothing more. I'd like to keep everything else intact, mostly because I just got it and am still getting comfortable with it. Does the Spirit jailbreak make any GUI changes or affect stability and performance? I know you can install themes and whatnot if you want.. I'm just talking about whatever default setup it is after you JB

I guess what confuses me is that I've seen warnings mentioning problems with certain app packages or something. Does that mean there are problems with legitimate iPad apps or just Cydia apps, for example?

Thanks

Last edited:

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Kevbo,

Spirit does a seamless work. Download, connect iPad, launch Spirit, click "Jailbreak" and let Spirit do the magic......

After this is done, the iPad will look exactly the same as before, you will just find one additional app on the desktop "Cydia" and a new bullet in the settings. That's it.

Everything else is now up to you to download from Cydia. Most apps are freeware, some will cost a few bucks.

For GUI changes you have to look for "Winterboard". Pretty cool is the "Glasklaart"-theme. But it's then up to you to explore.

And yes, there are a few apps, which haven't been ported yet to iPad and will either not run, or crash.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi kheldour, thanks for answering. I've been using the jailbreak for about a week now and have had no problems.

Does jailbreaking do anything to iTunes? I ask because I had to send back my old computer, now it says I must erase and sync. This is okay, because I'll just add my stuff.. but when I try to add an iPad via AppSync, it doesn't erase anything on my iPad or sync. Do I have to jailbreak again?

Thanks

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 16GB WiFi iPad. Although I've rooted my Droid, I've never jailbroken any Apple products. I'm aware that they are more or less the same thing.. But I've seen someone's jailbroken iPod touch and it looked a lot different and had some GUI differences from the original i believe.

I want to jailbreak my iPad so I can install "unauthorized" iPad apps, but nothing more. I'd like to keep everything else intact, mostly because I just got it and am still getting comfortable with it. Does the Spirit jailbreak make any GUI changes or affect stability and performance? I know you can install themes and whatnot if you want.. I'm just talking about whatever default setup it is after you JB

I guess what confuses me is that I've seen warnings mentioning problems with certain app packages or something. Does that mean there are problems with legitimate iPad apps or just Cydia apps, for example?

Thanks

As was stated spirit jailbreak is a one click solution. I have had some minor crash issues since jail breaking, but that's because some extensions are still being ported to iPad, speed has remained the same and battery life is still insane. Some really great extensions to add once you take the plunge is backgrounder (just got full iPad support today), fullforce (also
Updated today, now it works a lot better and works with most standard iPhone apps, last app (app switcher...works great), btstack mouse ( works well with magic mouse...has some issues with clicking on the right side of the screen as of now.) and activator is a must have (allows for gestures to activate anything on the device). Sbsettings now works nicely as well...it works while locked too.

OP
K

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my device is actually already jailbroken. But I can't add apps from my new computer. When I click "erase and sync", it doesn't erase or sync. So I am wondering if the Spirit JB makes changes to both the iPad and iTunes or just the iPad. If it's just the iPad (as i originally thought), then I'll have to figure out what's wrong with my iTunes.
Thanks

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, my device is actually already jailbroken. But I can't add apps from my new computer. When I click "erase and sync", it doesn't erase or sync. So I am wondering if the Spirit JB makes changes to both the iPad and iTunes or just the iPad. If it's just the iPad (as i originally thought), then I'll have to figure out what's wrong with my iTunes.
Thanks

I guess the problem is iTunes being iTunes, not the jailbreak.

Here is an Apple help doc on moving to a new computer:
How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
+1 for Spirit... it is by far one of the easiest Jailbreak solutions out there. As far as syncing apps with iTunes goes, I'd abandon iTunes all together and download your apps via Cydia, or use an iTunes alternative like SongBird.

Most reactions

Latest posts