What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File sharing

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to access files on my Mac mini from my iPad (or vice versa)? I presume it would have to be done by file sharing, or is there any other way.

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really want to transfer them, as I only want one copy. Otherwise they might not sync, or it's likely that I'll forget that I haven't synced them. So accessing my mac mini from the iPad would definitely be the best option, if it's possible.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't really want to transfer them, as I only want one copy. Otherwise they might not sync, or it's likely that I'll forget that I haven't synced them. So accessing my mac mini from the iPad would definitely be the best option, if it's possible.

A 'remote desktop' app will allow you to see your computer on the iPad - I'm using Splashtop (Information HERE) w/ my Vista laptop & the iPad2 - other apps are available for this purpose, so try looking in the Apple App store - good luck! :)

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waterbabies said:

It will copy them.

Greygoose

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I know, and thanks, but I don't want to copy them either. I want to control them all from one place IYKWIM. I've installed team player, and it's great - does just what I want. Just having problems because I can't find the setting to wake up the mac mini, when I try to connect. Have posted a new thread.
And thanks for all your efforts everyone! :)

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greygoose_ipad said:
Search the AppStore for mwol. It's the remote wake up program

Greygoose

Thanks. Can't find mwol. Has it got a full name?

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've installed this, found my MacID number and my IP number, connected to the router by Ethernet, but it still doesn't wake up the mac mini. Any ideas anyone?

Update.
I've managed it! The directions suggested that a hyphen should be put between the Mac address numbers, but it didn't work like that. However, it works with a : between the numbers. It even wakes it up on wi-fi, although it doesn't wake the monitor. I think that may be because it's on the same network though. I need to test it when I go out.

Will update when I've done that, in case it might help someone else.

Last edited:

Greygoose_ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me know if you get it working. I was able to get it to work when I was at home, but couldn't get it to work remotely.

Greygoose

OP
W

Waterbabies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's certainly working well at home. I'll test it remotely tomorrow - have to go to Tesco, and it's free WiFi there :)

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dstuttgen said:
Mac only? Or does mwol work with Windows, also?

If the computer is configured properly, it'll work for any OS :) can't speak for EFI based systems, but for BIOS based ones it usually has to be configured both in the BIOS setup for and the OS for on board NICs. The reason being that the OS can set a flag that prevents WoL from waking the computer if it went to sleep due to something like a low battery.

Most reactions

Latest posts