What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAQ SHAtter and greenpoison

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I would start this thread as our '1 stop shop' to find information on about the new JB.

what i know:

10:10 am GMT 10/10/10 when it will be public

SHAtter and greenpoison are /only/ possible on the fourth-gen devices: iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4G

SHAtter itself is tethered. comex came up with a way to untether it on 4.1/3.2.2

Maybe some of the smart dudes here can provide info:

is it for life?, if so, why?

will there be a way to 'de(un)-jailbreak' ie. restore to factory state. for example if JB isnt for you or you want to sell it and remove the JB.

what are the risks?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you can re jail your device if you decide that jailbreaking isn't for you. When the term "pwned for life" is used, that means the exploit itself cannot be removed with a software patch. It does not mean that your device will be jailbroken for life. This particular exploit requires Apple to make a change at the hardware level if they want to "fix" it, so devices already out there are "pwned for life".

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is lots of misinterpretation about the so called "jailbreak for life". Let's try and sort that out...

The SHATter exploit is a bootrom exploit. That means if it works on your device on Sunday when it is released, it will ALWAYS work. For life. Thats because the bootrom is hardware based and can't be updated

Because of this, you can in theory CHOOSE to jailbreak, restore, jailbreak, restore, as many times as you like.
But when you jailbreak using greenp0ison, or any other JB release in the future which can use the SHAtter exploit, it can be restored to factory just as easy as you can today.
The jailbreak is not for life. It is just that you will always have the option to restore and rejailbreak if you want via SHAtter. Also remember, greenp0ison may need replaced or updated with a new JB in the future depending on what mods Apple can make at the iOS level for 4.3 or 5.0 etc

When you restore, just like today, there will be no way to tell your device was ever jail broken if you follow the right process.

Remember, as soon as this is out and Apple get their hands on it, they will come up with a hardware revision for the bootrom on NEW devices to block it in the future. There is no telling how long it will take them to get it into production...

Basically, it's all good!

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
OP
J

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nice little summary f4780y, thanks

im sure you have cleared it up for many of us now.

looking forward to JB'ing my first idevice it to be honest...

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how bout apple tv 2? it shud work on it cus it runs the a4 rite?

OzzieB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what i know:

10:10 am GMT 10/10/10 when it will be public

How do you know this to be true?

It was announced through the Cronicdevteam twitter account throuhg on of their members as releasing this Sunday at around 10:10am GMT time. So yeah. There is your source.

Keep in mind that 10/10/10 10:10:10 GMT is an ETA which, by definition, is just an estimate. It's more likely to be released Sunday now that there is an official ETA, however, it is still possible for the release to be delayed.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whats the site everyone going to have to go to on 10/10/10 in order to jailbrake from greenpoison?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since this is untethered jailbrake coming, is it gonna be just like the jailbreakme one? Juss go to site on ipad and download or whatever? Thnkx in advance.

aziraphael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm fairly new to jailbreaking and I have a quick question. If my device is already jailbroken with Spirit on firmware 3.2 (iPad), can I back it up through iTunes, upgrade to the latest firmware, jailbreak with greenp0ison and restore to original state using the backup--apps, all associated data, springboard arrangements, music, &c., except they'd be on the new greenp0ison JB firmware instead of 3.2 Spirit? I count my blessings that I've never had to perform a restore before, so I'm a bit leery of losing data or having to painstakingly tweak everything to my liking all over again, particularly with the added complication of jailbreaking. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (Oh, and I wasn't able to back up the SHSH blob when jailbreaking originally with Spirit because the procedure wouldn't take for some reason on my computer. If I do this, there's no going back, presumably.)

owen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes @864646 greenpois0n will jailbreak the new apple tv with SHAtter because it has the A4 chip, i dont know what it involves (e.g. what "extra features" u can get after jailbreaking it)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes @864646 greenpois0n will jailbreak the new apple tv with SHAtter because it has the A4 chip, i dont know what it involves (e.g. what "extra features" u can get after jailbreaking it)

Don't think I can agree owen.
Shatter yes, but greenp0ison unlikely. The OS on the appletv2 is not a stock iOS firmware from phone or pad and Jailbreaks are quite specific to fw versions. Whilst SHAtter has been shown to work, we don't know that gp will. It is likely to need it's own JB...
I look forward to being proven wrong tomorrow!

Last edited:

Most reactions