What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FaceTime with wife

duane518

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave my wife my iPad 2 because I received the iPad mini retina. Do I need to reset the iPad 2 and have my wife register with Apple in order to face time with her?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Duane... - wife & I are on the same Apple ID (allows sharing of apps), so if you want her using the same ID then that will still work (we've done FT w/ our iPads w/o a problem) - for the iPad, FT's contact information is an email address - see the quoted information below from HERE - good luck & let us know your results. Dave :)

What information do I need to call someone using FaceTime?

To call someone using FaceTime, you need their phone number or email address. Which one you use is determined by the device you are calling:
  • When calling someone using an iPhone: Try the phone number of the person you are calling first. If the person has registered an email with FaceTime, you can use that as well.
  • When calling someone using an iPad, iPod touch: Use the email address designated for FaceTime of the person you are calling.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recommend that you keep the same Apple ID for app purchases and such the same on both iPads. Get a second iCloud account for your wife. Besides giving you a different FaceTime and iMessages address, it will also let you have different calendars, iCloud email, and backup space.

Using your Apple ID for Apple services

Interesting... So you have different Apple IDs for iCloud and Store purchases.
This sounds easy enough to set up and I suppose backups/restore would be equally the same.
I.E. You first insert your iCloud account for access to cloud Backups and Restore, then when it is time to access your Apps you insert your Apple ID.
Seems little trouble in having a separate iCloud account (one for the wife and one for yourself).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's even easier than that. Each app and/or store has a separate signin. So, you sign into the iStores with your shared Apple ID on both devices. You sign into the iCloud, Messages, and FaceTime (in their settings) using the iCloud ID for each user.

Hold in mind that for one user the iCloud ID and Apple iTunes Store ID are probably going to be the same.

iTunes Match (if you use it) might complicate things, since it needs to use both your iCloud account and iTunes Store ID. I'm not sure, and have no way to test it.

Most reactions

Latest posts