What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not trying to break any laws here but

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife just splashed out on a brand spank iPad Mini 128Gb with all the bells and whistles which she is absolutely delighted with.

She wants to give her old iPad 3 to her 78 year old mum who lives at the other end of England. Mum is well capable of using it, she is a bit lonely so we thought the music, the books etc would be excellent for her. More importantly would be the FaceTime feature as she would have access to everybody in the family all over the world.

Now the bit I am worried about - we'd like just to giver her it, in its present state, where she log in as my wife from her own Wifi and get all the benefits from my wives account with iTunes etc, emails etc are easy just add another account and clear my wife's from the device. We have no problem with her accessing the store etc and we will pay with our details BUT FaceTime (primary reason) does not work - Firstly, and bearing in mind she is an old lady whom we are trying really hard to help - is it allowed? Is there a way around the FaceTime problem - I know with IOS 8 there is a new SHARING thingy but any ideas are as always appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is set up a [free] AppleID account for her Mom. You can do so via a web site or on the iPad.

Then, use her AppleID to log into FaceTime. You can also use it to log into iMessages and such.

Bottom line: just keep the iTunes Store with your wife's AppleID and enter the new AppleID in for everything else. Then, she can use all the Apple apps she wants.

Marilyn

P.S. This is how I do it for my mom and her iPad. My AppleID is loaded for her AppStore purchases while her AppleID is for everything else. Works a treat!

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks so much Marilyn but for a bit of a thicky (me) could you explain that in real simple terms. Does your suggestion mean that she should only sign in as herself (mom) when she wants to FaceTime?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To use FaceTime, you have to enter an Apple ID. When you enter her (mom's) Apple ID there, she will be able to receive calls from you.

She doesn't have to sign in there every time she receives or makes a FaceTime call.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both so much I read Marilyn's again and it made sense. apple won't let me create an I'd at the moment won't let me on!

VMT

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts