What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External USB storage Support on JB iPad 2 4.3.3

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jac0ow said:
I used several usb sticks which did work in var/mnt/mount1, however when i attached my self powered 1tb wd hdd my ipad didn't recognised it. I read some things about an external powered usb hub and an usb y cable. Do these accesoires fix my problem or is there an other way to have acces to my hdd?

Thanks in advance

I have yet to try a stick that did not work in ifile (just lucky I guess) but it's the hdd support I would really like

iWant my iCloud

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
No, you don't need to re-jailbreak. However, do try running an SD card, not a USB flash drive.

What most people find is that since Apple downgraded the power in/to the iPad's port (beginning with iOS 4.0), very few USB flash sticks work with the CCK. It is a matter of trial and error - you basically have to run through every stick you own to see if any work. In your case, I'd guess none.

I've not heard of anyone saying that SD cards don't work (some have reported running up to 32GB).

Hope that helps.

Would it be feasible for someone to patch the kernel to kick the USB power back to where it was and so bring back support for those devices that need it?

iWant my iCloud

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I asked this question months ago, after 4.2 came out? (can't remember which one) its apparently not that easy to do :(

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:

Good to see xbmc made it onto iOS as well, but not not what this thread is about.

iWant my iCloud

Cause you can mount USB drives through xbmc as well as thru wifi. Ifile will do it also but I believe the ipad can only read FAT32 and HFS+ formatted disks.

thanks for the link, but i have xbmc for iOS the first day it was launched, used it once, i guess i will have to play around with it, didn't see a reason to, cause i have an apple tv(2nd).

the answer "i think" i was looking for, could be what is bolded.

i will know soon.

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Cause you can mount USB drives through xbmc as well as thru wifi. Ifile will do it also but I believe the ipad can only read FAT32 and HFS+ formatted disks.

Then I humbly apologise.......

iWant my iCloud

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
can anybody confirm if SANDISK CRUZERBLADE 16GB is working?? and can someone post a video of this process working with ifile?

cgtorrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone successfully get their usb drive work by plugging the power into the wall & connect the usb cable to cck & to the ipad 2?
thanks,

MiguelPereira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USb Thumb Drives Working.

Hi everyone!
I believe this is my very first post on this wonderful forum.
I've been playing around my new Jailbroken iPad2... Bought this Camera kit from eBay, and all worked perfect, from the video out to the SD and micro SD card including the sync (mini usb cable) port. The usb port would work great if connected to a digital camera. It wouldn´t read my Kingston usb thumb drive.
After reading that Apple prevented this from working due to a usb power issue I had pretty much given up...
Today I borrowed from my wife the 3 usb thumb drives that she uses:
1- TakeMS SlimLine
2- TakeMs Drive Mini
3- Memup Pop Key
Connected all three of them and guess what?! All three work perfectly!! Full access from iFile and therefore I was able to open, copy, view and edit documents, photos...
So the bottom line is (to me) it deppends on the power usage that the usb stick needs... the three listed above worked (formated on FAT and FAT32).
Hope this helps!
Cheers from Portugal!
:ipad-keyboard:

ipadnuby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I believe this is my very first post on this wonderful forum.
I've been playing around my new Jailbroken iPad2... Bought this Camera kit from eBay, and all worked perfect, from the video out to the SD and micro SD card including the sync (mini usb cable) port. The usb port would work great if connected to a digital camera. It wouldn´t read my Kingston usb thumb drive.
After reading that Apple prevented this from working due to a usb power issue I had pretty much given up...
Today I borrowed from my wife the 3 usb thumb drives that she uses:
1- TakeMS SlimLine
2- TakeMs Drive Mini
3- Memup Pop Key
Connected all three of them and guess what?! All three work perfectly!! Full access from iFile and therefore I was able to open, copy, view and edit documents, photos...
So the bottom line is (to me) it deppends on the power usage that the usb stick needs... the three listed above worked (formated on FAT and FAT32).
Hope this helps!
Cheers from Portugal!
:ipad-keyboard:

What was the capacity of the Drive Mini?

MiguelPereira

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi.
Both TakeMs drives are 1 Gb in capacity.
The MemUp is 8Gb.
Hope it helped!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How to check whether the usb flash drive is lower than 20 mA? I have a SANDISC CRUZER BLADE 16gb flash drive...so will it work with the camera kit? Shud i buy it? HELP please.. :(

Rushh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read a few places that - 'CORSAIR Flash Voyager 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model CMFVYA32GB' works!

Someone on the forum said there is a list of all compatible drives, but i can't seem to find it.
Request a mod to please direct us to that thread!

Thanks!

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rushh said:
I have read a few places that - 'CORSAIR Flash Voyager 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model CMFVYA32GB' works!

Someone on the forum said there is a list of all compatible drives, but i can't seem to find it.
Request a mod to please direct us to that thread!

Thanks!

It's bizarre, because I have number of memory sticks, and my iPad 2 has been able to mount them all. Everything from branded (transcend for example) to no-name freebies. Capacities from 128mb up to 8th

Only think that di not work was an external hard drive - power issue, of course.

iWant my iCloud

jimakris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys the answer to your problems is this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-Mobile-Battery-Powered-CP-H420MP/dp/B0002UQALQ/[/ame]

Most reactions

Latest posts