What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External USB storage Support on JB iPad 2 4.3.3

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, please dont flame, I have spent a long time searching the forum already and could not find an answer so here i post :)

I have a now JBed ipad2 4.3.3 and would like to know what app/tweak I can use to access usb sticks through the camera kit (if possible).

What worried me is that, since the JB, my ipad does not even open the picture importer wizard when I plug in a usb card from my digi camera, now.... is this the 'kernel bug'?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that in the edit option of ifile there are up to four flash drives, but none of these are visible in normal operation, whatever I plug in.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when you have ifile open and plug in your flash drive...does anything appear under the "Disk" header in the left side column? May have to give it a few seconds...does the light blink on your flash drive?

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting that the light on one stick flashes and then stays on, but the light on the other stick flashes and then goes out.

In both cases no icon comes up under the disk menu.

output from dmesg is :

AppleEmbeddedUSBNub::initWithProvider : finished nub init
AppleEmbeddedUSBArbitrator::updatePublishedNubs : publishing nub 0x88468480 for usb-ehci
AppleEmbeddedUSBNub::withProvider : allocated new nub 0x84a10d00
AppleEmbeddedUSBNub::initWithProvider : finished nub init
AppleEmbeddedUSBArbitrator::updatePublishedNubs : publishing nub 0x84a10d00 for usb-ohci0
AppleS5L8930XUSBPhy::powerUp : with_hsic: 0
AppleS5L8930XUSBPhy::enableHostMode : enable: 1
AppleEmbeddedUSBArbitrator::enableDeviceClock : enable: 1, index: 1
AppleEmbeddedUSBArbitrator::enableDeviceClock : enable: 1, index: 2
USBMSC Identifier (non-unique): AA04012700008509 0x90c 0x1000 0x1100

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Essentially, after Apple downgraded the power in that port (with iOS 4.0), most flash sticks don't work. Usually, you get a message saying it won't, but sometimes you get nothing (and you don't see the drive in iFiles' list).

Try putting in an SD card (up to 32GB). If that works, you're in business (and you can buy a USB card reader device should you really need to have a USB port to use on other computers).

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Marilyn

Kotse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. I cannot connect any device after JB, but I am not so sure if this problem was after update to 4.3.3. Definitely was no problem with 4.3.1. Now i cannot connect even my iphone to my ipad 2, nothing in /var/mnt. Any suggestions ?

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Essentially, after Apple downgraded the power in that port (with iOS 4.0), most flash sticks don't work. Usually, you get a message saying it won't, but sometimes you get nothing (and you don't see the drive in iFiles' list).

Try putting in an SD card (up to 32GB). If that works, you're in business (and you can buy a USB card reader device should you really need to have a USB port to use on other computers).

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Marilyn

I have tried USB sticks and SD cards. In the past I would simply plug in the SD from my camera and it would open pictures and show me the pics to import. That is now not working, exactly the same firmware, same memory. It was fine before the JB, so it is too much of a coincidence to think it is not related.

iWant my iCloud

Last edited:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm assuming you already re-booted the iPad as well and still having the same problems?

Kotse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reboot it 4 times - nothing changes - still cannot connect anything with USB camera connection kit.

Kotse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hard to find SD Card, but finally I have it. So - did not work, in iFile - nothing happens - shows only Disk - not anything else. In /var/mnt/ - again nothing.

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kotse said:
Hard to find SD Card, but finally I have it. So - did not work, in iFile - nothing happens - shows only Disk - not anything else. In /var/mnt/ - again nothing.

Can anyone else confirm it's working or not?

iWant my iCloud

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does NOT work on my iPad2. Works perfectly on my iPad1... Both 4.3.3 JB.

Most reactions

Latest posts