What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External USB storage Support on JB iPad 2 4.3.3

iRaptor25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if its an externally powered usb drive it shouldn't need power from the ipad.

I was looking around earlier and saw a long tutorial on setting up an external harddrive though, that may be outdated but I dont think its as simple as just plugging it in like the thumbdrives that work.

Fdo.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its not working for me. After upgrading, i still get the pop up telling me that the device consumes to much power and that it cannot be supported. Ive tried with a kingston data traveller of 16gbs, a victorinox 1gb and an old sony of 8gbs..

Can anybody suggest what im doing wrong? Should I re jailbreak anew?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, despite the frustration

Fdo

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you don't need to re-jailbreak. However, do try running an SD card, not a USB flash drive.

What most people find is that since Apple downgraded the power in/to the iPad's port (beginning with iOS 4.0), very few USB flash sticks work with the CCK. It is a matter of trial and error - you basically have to run through every stick you own to see if any work. In your case, I'd guess none.

I've not heard of anyone saying that SD cards don't work (some have reported running up to 32GB).

Hope that helps.

jimakris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fdo. said:
Its not working for me. After upgrading, i still get the pop up telling me that the device consumes to much power and that it cannot be supported. Ive tried with a kingston data traveller of 16gbs, a victorinox 1gb and an old sony of 8gbs..

Can anybody suggest what im doing wrong? Should I re jailbreak anew?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, despite the frustration

Fdo

Use a self powered USB hub

cgtorrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in the terminal it did see my self-powered FAT usb drive but not in iFile. SD card showed in iFile. I would be able to mount FAT usb thru terminal but I want it to show up in iFile. I aslo need HFS+ (mac os extended format) to mount or show up in terminal. Now i could only mounted msdos (FAT).

Any guru could help me?

Also, couldn't unmount FAT drive as there's no diskdev-cmds in cydia to download. :-( . My workaround is to restart ipad every time & it's suck.

Jac0ow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used several usb sticks which did work in var/mnt/mount1, however when i attached my self powered 1tb wd hdd my ipad didn't recognised it. I read some things about an external powered usb hub and an usb y cable. Do these accesoires fix my problem or is there an other way to have acces to my hdd?

Thanks in advance

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that my BT home Hub 3 accepts a USB hdd and allows acces via wireless conection

ok i have an apple extreme, which also have a USB port, and i have a 1TB, which i can access and backup my Mac wirelessly.

Now, are you saying you can access HDD on your ipad?

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I access all my music and videos on my computer by using XBMC, I use this for wireless pleasure all round my house

could you explain this again? ^^^^^^^^

and did you skip my question earlier about "Now, are you saying you can access a wireless HDD on your ipad?

OP
NickHillUK

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheRambler said:
I know that my BT home Hub 3 accepts a USB hdd and allows acces via wireless conection

Even so, the thread is about USB access directly on the iPad. Wifi transfer is painfully slow on the iPad, direct file transfer via a cable is much faster.

iWant my iCloud

Most reactions

Latest posts