What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External memory for music?

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16gig Air (I know I know to small but that's not changeable at this time) so I'm wondering if any of these external drives could store music and play on the iPad through said drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Paul - yes, 16 GB of storage is quite limiting on an iPad these days. First, tell us what types of music you own and want to listen to on your iPad and where the music is currently stored, e.g. iTunes purchases, Amazon music, ripped CDs, etc? Second, have you looked at Apple's iCloud Options where you can stream music using iTunes Match and/or Apple Music - can cost and requires a Wi-Fi network. Third, have you explored other streaming choices, e.g. on my iPad Air 2, I have the following apps, Spotify, Pandora, & Amazon Music; the latter allows me to stream any of my purchases made on Amazon over the years (thus, the first question above).

NOW, if you do not always have a Wi-Fi network available to you, then there are many wireless devices that can stream music over their own created wireless network. Let me describe two that I own, but there are other more recent devices (just do some googling on Amazon). I own the AirStash & RavPower File Hub - both are shown below - storage is provided by removable SD cards (and LARGE capacities can be used); both establish their own 'private' wireless networks that the iPad can join using its Wi-Fi settings - also, both have their own iOS apps that allows you to play the music files on the storage card.

The next two images show my AirStash connected to my iPad and playing a Diana Krall song; the last three images (after I put the same SD card in the other device) shows the RavPower Hub w/ the same song playing. Again since I've purchased these two devices, other brands & models have emerged, so do some research if you want to go this route. Dave :)
AirStash_RavHub.png
AirStash1.PNG
AirStash2.PNG
RavPower1.PNG
RavPower2.PNG
RavPower3.PNG

OP
psmoore

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. I need it mostly for my car so, no internet capable is the best. The music is burnt CD's. I do have Pandora but don't really use it. I had Sirius XM for awhile and liked it, but don't want to pay when I have a ton on CD's and mp3 files (over 40 gigs). Just wanted to put all of it on a portable drive and be able to hit play and shuffle and head to work. I drive approximately 40 minutes each way every day I work and local radio is bad. I live in a rural area. With the RavPower do you have to have an internet connection once you connect to the network it sets up? I think that's the type of storage I want as I also will need to get an FM Transmitter too, to play through my car radio. Again, thanks a lot for the information.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the reply. I need it mostly for my car so, no internet capable is the best. The music is burnt CD's. I do have Pandora but don't really use it. I had Sirius XM for awhile and liked it, but don't want to pay when I have a ton on CD's and mp3 files (over 40 gigs). Just wanted to put all of it on a portable drive and be able to hit play and shuffle and head to work. I drive approximately 40 minutes each way every day I work and local radio is bad. I live in a rural area. With the RavPower do you have to have an internet connection once you connect to the network it sets up? I think that's the type of storage I want as I also will need to get an FM Transmitter too, to play through my car radio. Again, thanks a lot for the information.

Hi again Paul - both of the devices that I described previously establish their own personal 'wireless' networks that you can then connect to via your iPad's settings and an app - thus, you do NOT need a public Wi-Fi network.

I'm not sure what audio system is in your car, but my newest auto has a CD player that can do both regular discs and those w/ MP3 files, and also has BT (Bluetooth) so I can simply connect my iPad or iPod via the wireless BT in the car - just bringing this up since you could put in a new audio system in your car that would give you more options.

Finally, if you plan to keep your present car audio, then input from your iDevice is certainly a problem - I've had those FM transmitter in the past and they do not always work well, just saying. Your other option is to buy a nice portable BT speaker (I have several that go on trips) - just another consideration. Dave :)

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My new car has all the bells and whistles for connectivity. I can plug my iPad directly in to the USB port with an adapter, or connect the iPad earphone jack to the AUX input, or I can connect using Bluetooth. (I use Bluetooth most of the time). As giradman points out.. It's nice.

But I have an older 'beater' car without any external inputs for the radio. For it, I use a 'wired FM modulator'. It goes inline on the cable that runs between the antenna and the radio. Doing it this way eliminates interference from strong local FM stations. It works very well.

The only hitch is that it takes a bit of work to install. You have to get under the dash and behind the radio in order to connect things up. Installation may require the services of a local car stereo shop if you don't have familiarity with car radios and wiring.

Google for 'wired FM modulator' and you'll get a list of them. Just find one that suits your budget.

Most reactions

Latest posts