What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any SD card or external hard drive that works?

kevin32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iPad Air MF003LL/A (black). I have music and movies on my computer I want to watch on my ipad. Will someone recommend an SD card or some external hard drive that works well with this model? (I'm not interested in cloud services).

Also, how does it work? Is it simple plug and play, like can the ipad read/play the music from the drive once its plugged in? Or are there other steps I need to take? Just wondering if there are any other accessories or software I need to make sure it works. Thanks.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iPad Air MF003LL/A (black). I have music and movies on my computer I want to watch on my ipad. Will someone recommend an SD card or some external hard drive that works well with this model? (I'm not interested in cloud services). Also, how does it work? Is it simple plug and play, like can the ipad read/play the music from the drive once its plugged in? Or are there other steps I need to take? Just wondering if there are any other accessories or software I need to make sure it works. Thanks.

You might consider the AirStash, basically a thumb drive that connects to the iPad by creating its own wifi link. It can also read SD cards and stream their content to the iPad. There is an excellent review available here.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/79228-airstash-review.html

Enjoy!

OP
K

kevin32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the only way you can achieve what you want is to sync the media to the device.
My ipad is 32GB. My music and movies are over 100GB. I'm looking for something that can hold all that, but can easily connect to my ipad.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad is 32GB. My music and movies are over 100GB. I'm looking for something that can hold all that, but can easily connect to my ipad.

I stream mine from iTunes on my computer. I have a 64GB iPad and still way too much music and movies to fit on it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have about 100GB of mp3s and an untold amount of video. But I'd never want all of that music on any mobile device because most of it I don't like. Very few artist makes albums where I like every song, or even most songs. I'm way more selective with movies, however, and nearly anything I own there I can watch and enjoy anytime, but for me, music is so hit and miss.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might consider the AirStash, basically a thumb drive that connects to the iPad by creating its own wifi link. It can also read SD cards and stream their content to the iPad. There is an excellent review available here.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-connect/79228-airstash-review.html

I stream mine from iTunes on my computer. I have a 64GB iPad and still way too much music and movies to fit on it.

Hello, you've received multiple suggestions - a Wi-Fi drive might be your best option (links have been given); however, SD cards do come in 64 GB & 128 GB sizes, but are not cheap (Amazon HERE). I own the AirStash linked above - w/ a high capacity SD card this option should work also - this Wi-Fi device comes in 2 models, so if you do decide on the purchase of a SDXC card, then buy the appropriate product. Dave

Frawick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found the ApoTop Wi-Reader to be very good at not only streaming from SD cards, but also serving as a wi-fi hub when connected to ethernet LAN's. You can find them on Newegg and Amazon.

OP
K

kevin32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so I see Seagate HD and Airstash. May I ask how simple are they? Can I plug in the device and start watching my movies/music directly from it? Or are there other steps I need to take?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Okay, so I see Seagate HD and Airstash. May I ask how simple are they? Can I plug in the device and start watching my movies/music directly from it? Or are there other steps I need to take?

Neither option mentioned above involves 'plugging in' the device to your iPad - both establish a personal Wi-Fi network and communicate w/ a proprietary app on your iDevice - read the comments about AirStash on Amazon & review the sticky provided on the previous page. As to your Seagate link to eBay, those external HDs require USB cabling (these will not work w/ the iPad) - what you need from Seagate can be reviewed on Amazon HERE - good luck. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts