What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

View of flash drive info on my iPad air

nanny47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have tons of flash drives, no computer, other than my iPad Air. I understand I can use a external hard drive that must be connected to an outlet, and one that has a usb drive outlet and a way to connect same to iPad - I have a connector I use for my camera. Anyone use same, and if so, brand name etc please would be appreciated?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i have tons of flash drives, no computer, other than my iPad Air. I understand I can use a external hard drive that must be connected to an outlet, and one that has a usb drive outlet and a way to connect same to iPad - I have a connector I use for my camera. Anyone use same, and if so, brand name etc please would be appreciated?

Hi Nanny.. - you might want to tell us 'what' is on those USB flash drives, e.g. photos, music, documents (if so in what formats), etc. The iPad and iOS are 'app-centric', i.e. files can certainly be transferred to the iPad either connected (like photos from your camera's SD card) or wirelessly. The CCK (camera connection kit) is meant for photo transfer either using the SD card w/ a DCIM folder and image files formatted in a specific way or USB cabled to the iPad's docking port w/ the CCK - the USB part of that adapter cannot be used w/ standard USB flash drives to transfer non-image files.

Now there are a number (and more have hit the market since I last looked and purchased a few) of 'wireless' devices that have SD and/or USB connections and establish a 'personal' Wi-Fi network that the iPad can connect to w/ the appropriate proprietary app on the iPad - I own an AirStash (which uses only a SD card) and a RAVPower FileHub which has a LOT of interesting features and is relatively inexpensive - check the link to see if such a device might serve your needs or do an Amazon search on other such devices.

Also, please provide answers to my questions above, i.e. what you may want to transfer on those USB drives might be not possible. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 12.23.28 PM.png

OP
N

nanny47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Nanny.. - you might want to tell us 'what' is on those USB flash drives, e.g. photos, music, documents (if so in what formats), etc. The iPad and iOS are 'app-centric', i.e. files can certainly be transferred to the iPad either connected (like photos from your camera's SD card) or wirelessly. The CCK (camera connection kit) is meant for photo transfer either using the SD card w/ a DCIM folder and image files formatted in a specific way or USB cabled to the iPad's docking port w/ the CCK - the USB part of that adapter cannot be used w/ standard USB flash drives to transfer non-image files.

Now there are a number (and more have hit the market since I last looked and purchased a few) of 'wireless' devices that have SD and/or USB connections and establish a 'personal' Wi-Fi network that the iPad can connect to w/ the appropriate proprietary app on the iPad - I own an AirStash (which uses only a SD card) and a RAVPower FileHub which has a LOT of interesting features and is relatively inexpensive - check the link to see if such a device might serve your needs or do an Amazon search on other such devices.

Also, please provide answers to my questions above, i.e. what you may want to transfer on those USB drives might be not possible. Dave :)
View attachment 70235
Flash drives content is jpeg pics for the most part, some short home videos. I would prefer not to transfer them to my iPad , unless temporarily, so I can upload them to Flickr or YouTube maybe. I have the camera connection kit which is wonderful for current pics. I know there are usb drives made specifically for iPad nowadays, and that may be the way I will go for future backup, as well as the cloud - there are times I want to access the content and don't have Internet access.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Flash drives content is jpeg pics for the most part, some short home videos. I would prefer not to transfer them to my iPad , unless temporarily, so I can upload them to Flickr or YouTube maybe. I have the camera connection kit which is wonderful for current pics. I know there are usb drives made specifically for iPad nowadays, and that may be the way I will go for future backup, as well as the cloud - there are times I want to access the content and don't have Internet access.

Hi again - well, the device I mentioned, pictured and linked to Amazon, would likely serve your needs - as stated, the FileHub produces its own personal Wi-Fi network, i.e. a standard Wi-Fi network is not needed; your iPad can connect to the personal one (in Settings -> Wi-Fi) and then using their proprietary app allow the viewing of pics or video stored on a USB flash drive. Dave :)

Most reactions