What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting Ipad Pro 12.9 3rd Gen (2018) to external Thunderbolt monitor

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an Ipad Pro 12.9 2018 (3rd Gen, USB-C port), and a Dell UP2720Q monitor that has 2 USB-C Thunderbolt inputs. I tried connecting the Ipad to the monitor using the monitor's included thunderbolt cable (I believe it's thunderbolt 3) but without success, no image displayed in monitor. Is this because the Ipad Pro's 12.9 2018 USB-C port lacks a thunderbolt controller? I'm trying to see if a direct USB-C to USB-C connection is possible to avoid having to use an HDMI adapter. Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here are the tech specs for the 12.9 inch 2018 iPad Pro.

Near the bottom the TV and Video specs do not mention any hardware video out capabilities without using an adaptor.

The 2018 iPad was one of the first models to have USB-C, and not all of the USB-C features were supported.

Keep in mind that despite having the same connector, USB-C and Thunderbolt are not the same. You can expect a Thunderbolt port to be backward compatible with USB-C devices almost all the time, but Thunderbolt devices may or may not work on USB-C ports.

From what little I've read and heard, identifying what will and will not work between the two standard is a mess above and beyond the fact that there is no easy way to quickly identify which cables and ports are which.

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, and yes, all the info you mention I already read it in the Apple website. Only the latest Ipad Pro with the M1 chip has thunderbolt capable USB-C port with video out. Strangely, the 3rd Gen Ipad Pro 11 also has thunderbolt capable USB port. I wonder why Apple did not include thunderbolt capability in the 3rd gen 12.9 Pro model as well being that they are the same gen (2018)

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, all this model wording is confusing, I wrongly assumed that "3rd gen" referred to 2018 independently of the tablet size. Time to sell my "old" Ipad and get the new one :cool:, or even better, wait for the next one that will hopefully fix the black side bars

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm still using my 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I'm happy enough, but will definitely be taking a close look at the next one. However, if you are talking about black bars when watching video, I do not want that fixed. While it might be better for video watching, I use my iPad for a lot of other things that would suffer. And everyone who types a lot on the screen keyboard in landscape mode would hate it.

OP
C

cassiopeia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I'm very happy with my Ipad Pro 12.9 2018 too, for what I do it's super fast and from what I read you can hardly feel a speed improvement in the latest 2021 M1 Ipad Pro, and the battery health still at 94%. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
Just curious, I don't get it, you gain screen real estate by removing the black bars, and if it comes to typing it is up to the app you use for that purpose to scale accordingly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You would have to change the screen size to something larger than 12.9” to keep the same area while changing the screen ratio to HDTV’s 16:9. The narrower the rectangle, the less area you get for the same diagonal measurement.

I realize that much of the industry is moving to 16:9. For larger screens where apps can be sized any way you like and the screens are also used as entertainment centers, this works well. For smaller screens that typically use one app at a time or need to work on or read documents, something closer to 4:3 works better. Reading a website on a 14.9 device in portrait is ok, even nice in some cases. Reading a website in landscape on the same device feels cramped, especially on ad heavy sites.

When is the last time you browsed a site on your phone in landscape? I do this occasionally when the text on the site is too small for my poor eyes in portrait view. It always feels like I’m trying to read a book with a magnifying glass. Doing the same on a 14:9 tablet isn’t quite as bad, but not great either.

If I spent most, or even a lot of time on my iPad watching video, I might feel the same as you. But I spend most of my time reading (books and manga/comics), browsing the internet, and working on documents. The current aspect ratio is better for those activities.

It’s all compromises. Android and much of the rest of the industry has compromised in favor of video, and to be fair video has become pretty important. Apple is compromising in favor of documents and reading. Old guy that I am, I still like those more than video. If I had a lawn, I’d probably tell you to get off it.

Most reactions

Latest posts