What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eurpean use

rchrdwlkn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a Verizon chip in my ipad3. I am going to Europe this summer. Can I remove the Verizon chip and insert the local european chip for use?

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Unless the iPad is SIM-locked (which is here a common practice if your mobile device is co-funded by the carrier) there is no problem in doing so. However mobile telphony is rather expensive over here and free wifi is available at many places...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UK has many cheap 'pay as you go' sim deals from most carriers, as do most countries, i.e. Spain, Ireland, etc. Shop around on arrival, T-Mobile and 3 mobile are very good IMHO.
Verison iPads will work in Europe but only on 3G as USA uses it's own bandwidth for 4G and this does not match European standards.

Oh, and might be wise to bring a SIM cutter along (don't cost much) as not every carrier has the best deal on a microSIM. One quick cut and a normal SIM card will fit

Last edited:

tim85254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad 3 is not sim-locked. Get the new microsim from whatever country you're in - using an unlocked GSM phone might be a good way to validate that the line works and be able to send text messages to buy a prepaid data plan.

Remove the verizon SIM, connect with wifi and visit Edited by Moderator - no external links to download the carrier specific SIM data APN settings. Put in the local microsim.

Upon return to the US, remove the app you installed with the unlockit APN settings for your foreign microsim and put the Verizon one back in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

vk2rg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt think the Verizon units has a SIM card, so you may have an issue. I have the AT&T version Ipad and it is working fine with a Megafon sim in Russia. $12 for 3 gig per month, no ongoing charges, or contracts.

Most reactions

Latest posts