What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European iPad 3G SIM Card Launched by Cubic Telecom

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MAXroam.JPG

With the recently announced AT&T roaming charges for the iPad being so expensive, it was only a matter of time before enterprising European companies found a workaround. TechCrunch is calling Cubic Telecom’s MAXroam Micro SIM card a “must buy†for anyone travelling to, or around, Europe with their iPad. The MAXroam comes preloaded with 50 MB of data, and costs €75 (roughly $95). It can be recharged with 10MB of EU data for €25, or another 50MB of data for €75 . You can pre-order the SIM at www.maxroam.com ahead of its June 1st launch date. The MAXroam will enable you to use the iPad 3G all over Europe without getting stung by AT&T’s steep roaming charges.

TechCrunch reports that Cubic Telecom’s research and development team has been working on developing the MAXroam Micro SIM card for over three months, and the research could pay extra dividends for them as it looks likely that the forthcoming iPhone 4 will also be using Micro SIM cards, although as TechCrunch points out, unlike the iPad, the new iPhones will probably be initially locked into contracts.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: TechCrunch

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, those data charges are expensive compared to what you could get by picking up a local MicroSim in the country you're visiting. OK, if you're 'doing' Europe (several countries in as many days) then having one SIM you can roam with is an advantage for sure, but compare those costs to what, say Orange offers here in the UK on a pay as you go (no contract) basis:- 5p/Mb (roughly $0.07/Mb), 200Mb/day for Ă‚ÂŁ2 ($2.86) and 1Gb/week for Ă‚ÂŁ7.50 ($10.74 - includes unlimited WiFi from hotspots). On a monthly 'rolling' contract i.e. can be cancelled at any time, they offer 3Gb and 10Gb for Ă‚ÂŁ15 and Ă‚ÂŁ25 ($21.48 and $35.81) respectively.

There are two other providers here as well (O2 and Vodafone) though their offerings don't provide the flexibility that Orange does.

So if you think you'll be a relatively heavy data user, you'd be far better off looking at getting a local SIM, IMHO.

HTH, Pete.

Fonsecara

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just coming back from France and I found out a pretty good offer for data user addicted. But, this offer really applies for France visitor !

It's called LeFrenchmobile and they have several solutions:

- regular SIM card that you can use either to call or do data (they have great deals on calling rate for Europe, USA, Canada and Asia).

If you need the SIM card to fit in your iphone 4 or iPad, you just need to send them en email when you order and they will cut it so it fits in your devices. (SIM card + €15 of credit at €20)

- 3g unlocked dongle, with a SIM card to stay connected anywhere with your device (PC, Mac...). You can even use SIM card in your phone to place calls as it can be used for both Data & calls/text messages. (pack at €85 I think)

data rate is €0.63/MB down to €0.48 if you top up big amounts.

After doing some research before I wen there, it appeared that currently, it is the best prepaid 3g offer in France.

Some French travellers interested ?? more info on heir website : lefrenchmobile. com

Cheers

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rip off charges! t-mobile offer a 50MB Euro Internet Booster for Ă‚ÂŁ10 (€12/$16) instead of this offers €75!

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TonyR said:
Rip off charges! t-mobile offer a 50MB Euro Internet Booster for Ă‚ÂŁ10 (€12/$16) instead of this offers €75!

I currently use the 6MONTHWEB booster in my iPad so I wonder if I can add that as well when I next go to France?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Mitchell Torok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We were hugely disappointed with lefrenchmobile. We paid Ă‚ÂŁ20 for an iPad SIM card and were told merely to insert it and we would be up and running. Nothing before or on receipt about 'converting to a data bundle' which apparently is necessary. Lousy instructions on paper and the web site, I am not Bill Gates! What's a data bundle?!!! Why do I need it? Why are the instructions so unclear? Why are subsequent emails so curt and unhelpful?

Most reactions

Latest posts