What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Error in iBooks after upgrade to IOS 5

Lilajane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded my iPad to IOS 5 and now when I try to read my purchased iBooks I get the following error message:

'This page contains the following errors:
error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty error on line 1 at column 1: Encoding error
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.'

The rest of the page is blank and I cannot find a way to re-download them. Any advise would be very welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
L

Lilajane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update - Problem is resolved. I resolved the issue by deleting all books from my iPad which then allowed me to re-download them from the Store.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update - Problem is resolved. I resolved the issue by deleting all books from my iPad which then allowed me to re-download them from the Store.
Thanks very much for the update! That will be a great help for those that follow. :thumbs:

mbrehm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am experiencing the same problem and am not able to fix it by reloading the epub files.
I am working with an ipad1. My desktop machine is a snow leopard 2.66 quad core tower.

It is my task to review epub files as they appear on the ipad. We have reviewed many ebooks this way prior to my upgrade to iOS5 on the ipad.

After upgrading, ebooks have the following errors:
1. They are are a fraction of the length they are supposed to be.
2. Images no longer show up.
3. A majority of the pages show the following errors: "This page contains the following errors: error on line 1 at column 1: Document is empty error on line 1 at column 1: Encoding error. Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error" The rest of page is blank.

I have tried:
1. recopying files to my itune and resyncing the ipad
2. resetting the ipad to it's default preferences and resyncing
3. syncing to a mac running Lion

None of this made a difference. If anyone has any suggestions regarding this, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks very much.

Lou1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem with same error code and book is still missing the chapter I was reading when update took place. I have also deleted and re downloaded books but problem persists. Any other suggestions

maxwebr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the Ipad 2 yesterday and bought my first ebook through ibooks. Same issue. none of the pictures show up and having these same rendering issues. Is the a OS5 issue? Hope there is a solution soon from the community or from apple.

Ronoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got me stumped...not too surprising though. Ipad2 safari says it won't download a .pkg file.
Any help would be appreciated.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading around the Interwebs it looks like there's an issue with iOS 5 and some eBooks (not all certainly). Seems that some developers will need to upgrade their publications to address it.

Some users have had success by deleting the offending eBook and downloading it again, but as others have reported, not always

Perhaps contacting the developer of the book might help, if all else fails.

If it's an iBook purchase you can almost always get a refund by contacting Apple.

It's also possible that it's an iPad/upgrade issue which can often be solved by resetting (not restarting) the iPad, so that might be worth a try.
  • Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again.
If anyone has some success one way or the other please post back!

keys1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
Thanks very much for the update! That will be a great help for those that follow. :thumbs:

I am also having a problem. After updating to ios5, my books are gone. I have tried to sync and all to no avail. Any ideas on how to fix this?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

keys1998

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the books are in ePub format that I imported after purchasing from Barnes and noble. Could that be the issue? If so, any ideas on how to fix it? I have quite a few books that were not purchased thru iTunes and would like to have them on my iPad.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the books are in ePub format that I imported after purchasing from Barnes and noble. Could that be the issue? If so, any ideas on how to fix it? I have quite a few books that were not purchased thru iTunes and would like to have them on my iPad.
You could try restoring from backup (select the "Don't backup" option so it restores the original files)...

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

Most reactions

Latest posts