What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erase All Content and Settings - JB iOS 4.3.3 Warning

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I need some help here. My ipad2 is not detected in itunes not matter what i do. Tried hard reset, dfu mode, recovery mode. Couple different pcs. Only trickle charges even with wall charger, tried different wall chargers.

If i do the reset all settings and content thing on 4.3.3 it really won't do anything? Can I safely try? Because if I try and bricks I won't be able to restore.

Might be a hardware failure.

Don't do the erase all content and settings thing.
Uninstall all tweaks and stuff, make the iPad look stock. Use I file to delete cydia. Then delete ifile.

Take it to apple and ask for a replacement. (assuming it is still under warranty)

BUT, apple will most likely give you an iPad 2 with iOS 5, so you can't jailbreak.

And PS, don't say "brick". It is impossible to brick an iDevice.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be a dodgy cable, but sounds more like a dodgy pin in the dock connector. It is not uncommon for one or two to bend / snap. Try a different cable first though, just to rule that out.

stonecold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a couple cables, no dice. Also tried the iPad cable with my phone and it charges the phone.

I think I will try what graywolf says. Make it look stock. I understand how to remove all the tweaks. But not sure how to remove Cydia. Removal would be better than hide, because hiding would still maybe seen in spotlight.
Also if remove Cydia then how to remove ifile after?

The main things I have are ssh, Cydia, and ifile. Bit unsure of the sequence of removing.

Also even with removal. I've seen some AppStore apps that can detect jailbreak device, like those cable tv ones.

So was thinking is it possible in ifile to mess around with some of these launch daemons to make the device unbootable?

This what I was reading about.

Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by IPF staff in accordance with the Forum Rules

Please do not post external links!

Last edited by a moderator:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried a couple cables, no dice. Also tried the iPad cable with my phone and it charges the phone.

I think I will try what graywolf says. Make it look stock. I understand how to remove all the tweaks. But not sure how to remove Cydia. Removal would be better than hide, because hiding would still maybe seen in spotlight.
Also if remove Cydia then how to remove ifile after?

The main things I have are ssh, Cydia, and ifile. Bit unsure of the sequence of removing.

Also even with removal. I've seen some AppStore apps that can detect jailbreak device, like those cable tv ones.

So was thinking is it possible in ifile to mess around with some of these launch daemons to make the device unbootable?

This what I was reading about.

Please do not post external links!

Install ifile and cydelete from cydia.
Delete cydia with ifile.
Delete ifile with cydelete.

Apple won't know the difference. :)

stonecold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thanks makes sense to me. Shame I will lose my jailbreak. I think I may wait a bit. Dev team seem to be making progress on iOS 5.0 so was thinking to try the exchange around when that drops so I get my hacks back.

critter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I can relate to what OP writes. I have refurbished ipad1, original IOS 4.3.3, jailbroke it with jailbreakme.com but also tried with something else, which did not work.

I want to send the device back, because I realised after three days ipad's screen is too tiring to my eyes. Have already contacted the supplier, no probs, the courier pending, but now i realise the device won't reset.

I get an aplle and a progress bar which does not move.

tried complete reset from ipad's menu, tried DFU and restore system through newest itunes update (PC). To 4.3.3 it did not work. Now I am downloading 5.01, but am afraid the restore may not work either.

On the desktop I still have ifiles, activator, backgrounder, not working curcitous, sbsettings - apps I am not too familiar with. Most importantly, the JB will probably be apparent to the APL techs.

What can I do? I wonder If apple may refuse the device now and what then...

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
critter said:
Hi everybody

I can relate to what OP writes. I have refurbished ipad1, original IOS 4.3.3, jailbroke it with jailbreakme.com but also tried with something else, which did not work.

I want to send the device back, because I realised after three days ipad's screen is too tiring to my eyes. Have already contacted the supplier, no probs, the courier pending, but now i realise the device won't reset.

I get an aplle and a progress bar which does not move.

tried complete reset from ipad's menu, tried DFU and restore system through newest itunes update (PC). To 4.3.3 it did not work. Now I am downloading 5.01, but am afraid the restore may not work either.

On the desktop I still have ifiles, activator, backgrounder, not working curcitous, sbsettings - apps I am not too familiar with. Most importantly, the JB will probably be apparent to the APL techs.

What can I do? I wonder If apple may refuse the device now and what then...

Follow the guide here, which will get 5.0.1 back onto your device so you can send it away - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

critter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. In the meantime I updated to 5.0.1 without problems. Couldn't get back to 4.3.3, though. The device is sent back. Hopefully, nothing fishy is found ;)

stonecold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to give an update since you guys gave me some sound advice and ideas.

My jailbroken 4.3.3 ipad2 couldn't restore (no longer detected on multiple computers) and couldn't charge (via multiple wall chargers and cables) only trickle charge. There was no way for me to restore it back to stock. I could merely do my best to make it "look" stock. I decided recently to return it to apple since 5.0.1 jailbreak is coming out soon for A5 devices supposedly. I wanted to minimize the amount of time I would be without my hacks so I waited as long as I could.

At first I was going to try this method.

Install ifile and cydelete from cydia.
Delete cydia with ifile.
Delete ifile with cydelete.

Apple won't know the difference. :)

However I didn't. As soon I install cydelete I also saw that it adds an entry in the settings app as an "extension". So apple may see that because if you use cydelete to remove cydia then that would mean cydelete may still be visible. Don't know if it is true but decided not to try.

So instead I did this.
1. Remove all the the cydia apps (go for all the big things first like bitesms, appbackup, gv extension, sbsettings etc.).
2. Remove open ssh (if you have it).
3. Use iFile to remove various plist left on the device that exists even after uninstalling cydia apps (optional do this if you are paranoid, google it).
4. Remove iFile (if you have it)
5. Remove your info from the device (store accounts, email accounts, contacts, sms, wifi network, photos etc.).
6. Remove all your apple apps.
7. Remove cydia (you can remove cydia from displaying on the springboard simply by uninstalling it the within cydia).

For step 7:
To remove Cydia, simply go into the 'Manage' in your Cydia store, Packages
( make sure the top right of your screen confirms you're in "expert", instead of "simple")
And delete the "Cydia installer"!

Just make sure this is the last step you do because once you do it you won't be able to go back into cydia.

As bonus before doing any of these steps you can use Appbackup to backup you apple app settings. Can use ibye for your contacts and notes. You can get the backups those apps make off the device usings open ssh since dock connector is dead. You'll be able to restore all your apple app settings when your new device gets hacked.

After you do this visually the device does not look jailbroken. After doing this I took device to apple store, they tested it, plugged it into a mac asked me some easy questions (whats wrong etc.). Ran some diagnostic tool on it. And then gave me a new one. Well it wasn't new in an apple retail box but it was new in a brown box wrapped in protected plastic and visually exhibited no scratches on front or back. So I signed and took it. It was firmware 5.0 and I updated it to 5.0.1 because the hacker godz said so.

I know it's a bit wordy but hopefully this info helps someone who may be in the same position I was in, stuck with a lame duck. Good luck and don't let your busted ipad make you worry!

Last edited:

poelady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I foolishly updated my non jail broken ipad2 and I still lost 73 of the 89 apps I had installed, lost most music and all videos. It's kinda like starting back at square 1. Now I am reluctant to up grade any more cause it messed up so badly.

dcolpitts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to original topic of this thread, which is "Erase all Content and Settings" being broken on jail broken 4.3.3 iDevices. I'm on 5.0.1 now on my iPad 2, and I had previously jailbroken it. We are currently demoing MaaS360 for mobile device management. One of the features of MDM is remote device wipe. Well guess what... I'm pretty sure the remote device wipe does nothing more than invoke Apples "Erase all Content and Settings" API, which of course doesn't work.

As much as I appreciate some of the features I gain from being jailbroken - I can't take the risk in my environment of not being able to ensure a successful completion of remote wipe in the event the unit is lost or stolen.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone with an appropriate skillset has further investigated "Erase all Content and Settings", post 4.3.3 or newer that is.

dcc

Most reactions

Latest posts