What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Syncing with Ipad

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have a ipad and laptop fully synced with all my email accounts on both machines.

If I replace the laptop with a new one, then sync it to my ipad will I transfer my email accounts from the ipad to the new laptop or will the new laptop without any email accounts loaded, wipe out my ipad email accounts?

Michael

Cschueren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miguels said:
I currently have a ipad and laptop fully synced with all my email accounts on both machines.

If I replace the laptop with a new one, then sync it to my ipad will I transfer my email accounts from the ipad to the new laptop or will the new laptop without any email accounts loaded, wipe out my ipad email accounts?

Michael

What are you specifically doing this on. If it's a Mac, when you get the laptop you can transfer everything and that would include your iTunes library and when you connect the iPad to it will be ok.

Now if it's a PC, things might be a little trickier. The important thing is the iTunes library as that's where all the settings are.

However if you use gmail, just set that up and it should be ok.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using a Windows machine but will be replacing it with an IMac.

My concern was that when I sync the nett new Imac to my existing Ipad, Itunes will not see any Email accounts set up on the new Imac and after syncing I will lose all my seven POP3 accounts on the Ipad

Do changes in Email accounts sync in both directions or only from Computer to Ipad, thats my concern

Hope that helps

Michael

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miguels said:

My concern was that when I sync the nett new Imac to my existing Ipad, Itunes will not see any Email accounts set up on the new Imac and after syncing I will lose all my seven POP3 accounts on the Ipad

Do changes in Email accounts sync in both directions or only from Computer to Ipad, thats my concern

Hope that helps

Michael

You can migrate all the stuff on your windows box to your new iMac, see here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518, you shouldn't lose your email accounts but plenty of stuff on the apple.com site under the support section which will help. If you are buying your iMac in an apple store they will give you all the guidance that you need to ensure that you don't lose anything.

The Archangel

Cschueren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miguels said:

Hope that helps

Michael

What you need to do is make sure you copy everything you have purchased to the PC. Easy to do. Hook it up, after it syncs, right click on the iPad in iTunes and select transfer purchases.

Then you need to migrate that data to the new iMac.

What is going to happen is its going to say the iPad is synced to another computer do you want to sync it to this one. Then it will basically rewrite everything. Now your iPad is coupled to the machine along with everything that you had on the PC. Apple has some good tutorials on their website for copying from a PC to a Mac.

Cschueren

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
You can migrate all the stuff on your windows box to your new iMac, see here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518, you shouldn't lose your email accounts but plenty of stuff on the apple.com site under the support section which will help. If you are buying your iMac in an apple store they will give you all the guidance that you need to ensure that you don't lose anything.

The Archangel

Good stuff there. Thanks for helping me out explaining that.

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I still don't understand the following:

Do changes in Email accounts sync in both directions or only from Computer to Ipad, thats my first question?

When I sync the first time, will a new Imac without any loaded email programs installed, get a copy of all my Email Pop3 programs loaded from the Ipad??
ie. The Ipad copies its installed email programs to the nett new Imac??

Michael

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is nothing in iTunes that will sync you email accounts. They have to be set up on each device. Short of restoring your iPad nothing you do on the computer will alter your email account settings on the iPad.

Calendars, contacts, yes; depending on your setup they may be synced with the computer. Email no.

Most reactions