What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Problems After IOS 8.4 Update...

Beach_Bum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ran the IOS 8.4 update on my iPad 2. Now when I open my email, I get a blank screen for a couple of seconds, then it fades and goes back to the home screen. Any suggestions on how to fix this or do I have to wait for the next update / bug fix?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so already, try a reset. Hold down the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo. It's a good idea to do this after an update. It seems to help with many initial issues.

If that does not work and you have an IMAP or Exchange account like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or iCloud, try deleting the account, then re-adding it. If you don't know if your account is, find out first. You'll want to do a bit more preparation if it's a POP3 account.

Note1: IMAP and Exchange accounts keep all your email on the server, so deleting the account slocally is safe. They sync back when you re-add the accounts.

Note2 : It's also a good idea to do a reset before an update. It clears the ram and puts iOS back to a cleaner state than a simple restart. This gives the update the best possible chance of completing without an issue.

OP
B

Beach_Bum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I did try a reset, but that didn't work. Do you know if this has been a problem for a lot of people or is mine an isolated case? I am not very tech savvy, and to be honest I don't even know how to check to see what kind of account I have... I have 3 Apple products (the iPad 2 I'm having trouble with that I did the IOS 8.4 update on, along with a iPad mini and an iPhone 5S. I did not do the update on the mini or the iPhone, and they are working fine). I have never had any trouble in the past with any of them until I ran the update on the iPad 2. Right now I'm not sure how I should proceed...

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try to login n ur account via safari then delete ur account from device then make again ur account with device again maybe it's work tks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Midcontinent.

Looks like it is a POP3 account. But you also have a webmail site. Before you delete and re-add the account on the iPad go to the webmail site and make sure everything looks the way you want it too there. You may still end up with extra emails on the iPad when it's over, but it will be easier to clean up with the webmail site available; or you'll be able to make changes and try again.

You provider has a couple of tutorials on how to set up your email. They will probably work fine; though I noticed the Manual setup hasn't been updated since the iPad 2, so things won't look exactly as they do in the video.

Here is some information on how iOS Mail handles POP3 accounts.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201855

Personally I discourage the use of an ISP (Internet Service Provider) as your main email account. Email addresses get used for all kinds of things besides getting email. If you are forced to move, or change providers you can find yourself struggling to change account names and getting everyone to change to your new email address.

Using a third party like Yahoo, Gmail, iCloud, or Hotmail avoids this. Where you live and who you get your internet through does not matter in these cases. You just keep on using the same old email address no matter where you live.

Besides, ISP's have be notoriously slow to move away from POP3 servers. POP3 is simple, easy to maintain, and conserves storage space on the server, but it is also feature poor and does not handle multiple devices and computers well.

OP
B

Beach_Bum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply - I'll give it a try.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't been on this site for quite a while, guess that means I haven't had any real problems till now, hope I'm writing in the right place....here goes .

I have iPad 3, at least that's what I call it. I updated week ago and suddenly I have a major problem.
I went into my email account, put up a new email, and there is no curser. I cannot delete it or type in the TO: line, Subject line etc. I've been staring at this email all week. I've thought of deleting the account I'm using and re-entering it, I've even written own all the settings, however I don't know if this will correct the problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me and BTW I have never updated without having problems, last time I lost everything on my iPad and only got some of it back. My mail, iTunes, pictures etc.

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't been on this site for quite a while, guess that means I haven't had any real problems till now, hope I'm writing in the right place....here goes .

I have iPad 3, at least that's what I call it. I updated week ago and suddenly I have a major problem.
I went into my email account, put up a new email, and there is no curser. I cannot delete it or type in the TO: line, Subject line etc. I've been staring at this email all week. I've thought of deleting the account I'm using and re-entering it, I've even written own all the settings, however I don't know if this will correct the problem.

Thanks for any help you can give me and BTW I have never updated without having problems, last time I lost everything on my iPad and only got some of it back. My mail, iTunes, pictures etc.

I fixed the problem myself by resetting my iPad

LoveRem36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for being there though, I knew if I didn't figure it out, you would have the answer. Now how can I remove this list type thing on the left hand side of my pages, it takes up about 1/3 of my page and reduces the size of my letters. At the top of it it has an open book, a pair of glasses and an @ sign.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is the bookmark pane. Tap the blue book icon at the top of the screen to turn it on/off.

The book icon is for your bookmarks, the glasses is for the reading list, and the @ tab is for links from your social apps (mostly Twitter).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441841114.723553.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts