What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Email Passwords & .avi formatting

bleaver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i've gone and got myself an iPad.

Two main things I was wondering about...

1) I have gmail and Microsoft Exchange emails set up. Other people will use the Ipad from time to time and would like to be able to restrict access to my mail but allow access to the rest.
I know I can setup a password for the whole iPad but is it possible to set up both emails so i input my password when i want to access them?

2) i have .avi format files from 250MB to 700MB which i want to transfer to iTunes and then on to the iPad.
Can you suggest a good program or method to do this? (it doesn’t have to be free)

Thanks!!

BL

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So i've gone and got myself an iPad.

Two main things I was wondering about...

1) I have gmail and Microsoft Exchange emails set up. Other people will use the Ipad from time to time and would like to be able to restrict access to my mail but allow access to the rest.
I know I can setup a password for the whole iPad but is it possible to set up both emails so i input my password when i want to access them?

2) i have .avi format files from 250MB to 700MB which i want to transfer to iTunes and then on to the iPad.
Can you suggest a good program or method to do this? (it doesn’t have to be free)

Thanks!!

BL

You can't password protect the Email Application that I am aware of. I would assume here you can not elect to save the password to force it to prompt every time. i'll add an account on mine and try out in a bit....

'Atomic' browser you can purchase, and password protect every time it launches. If you can deal with using a browser for Email, this should work fine. However every app that makes a call to send an Email will pull up the default Email Application.

For video conversion on a PC, I use 'Air Video' app ($2.99) http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306550020&mt=8. This lets you convert just about any video type (even Flash video) to iPad compatible M4V format. It is by far the easiest, and fastest way to convert video I have seen. These files play on Xbox 360 as well, if that is another selling point. Takes about 30 minutes or so to convert a typical 700mb avi file on my computer. The requests to convert a movie are done from the iPad, and not from the computer. My guess here is this is to make sure people just don't download the app computer side only to convert movies standalone.

It also has the ability to stream most any video type to your iPad from your computer, regardless if it has been converted or not yet. And the video looks as good as converted files.

The app also states it can stream over the internet, but I have never played with that piece.

Most reactions

Latest posts