What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EEEEYIKES!!!! -New iPad's 'Dictation' Sends Memos, Email Direct to Apple

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
new-ipads-dictation-sends-memos-email-direct-to-apple.html

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
Nothing new, this is just how it works.

OOOOOkay.... If you say so!!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
OOOOOkay.... If you say so!!!!

voice dictation takes a good amount of computation and the ipad does not have what it takes to produce a speedy conversion from voice to text. The speech is recorded and processed by a remote server and the results are delivered back to the device. This is exactly how siri worked when it was an app in the app store before apple purchased it.

This is the same way that dragons voice dictation app works

this is the same way that voice dictation on android devices work.

The only difference between all of them is what server is processing the dictation. Apple is processing siri's dictations, Dragon is processing the dictation for their own app, and Google is doing the processing for android dictations. This is how it's been done for many years. Its sort of like someone coming out and saying watch out when you send email from your yahoo email account because everything in your email gets sent to Yahoo before its delivered to the recipient and who knows if yahoo is reading it. These are just things that HAVE TO HAPPEN for it to work and someone freaked out when they learned how it works.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would imagine that the peeps at Apple have better things to do than to read the innocuous messages I was sending to my brother the other night. But they can if they want to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Voice dictation on all mobile devices is server based. It all goes to a server. If the server is going to do a good job it's going to store related info (at least temporarily).

If you are already using iCloud, or pretty much any other online service you are already trusting private data to other people's servers. You do realize that all your email is on a server too, yes?

The question is no longer whether you can trust your data to other companies, it is who you are going to trust, and are there sufficient laws and regulations to make sure they stay trustworthy (or pay the penalty).

Or we can become luddites and eschew the whole online thing.

Skippable Opinionating:
Other than the stated reasons of improving their service, Apple has little reason to abuse your trust, and a great deal to lose by doing so. It is not impossible they might do something that stupid; but I'd be suspicious of other companies with far greater incentives before I got too worried about Apple.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Voice dictation on all mobile devices is server based. It all goes to a server. If the server is going to do a good job it's going to store related info (at least temporarily).

If you are already using iCloud, or pretty much any other online service you are already trusting private data to other people's servers. You do realize that all your email is on a server too, yes?

The question is no longer whether you can trust your data to other companies, it is who you are going to trust, and are there sufficient laws and regulations to make sure they stay trustworthy (or pay the penalty).

Or we can become luddites and eschew the whole online thing.

Skippable Opinionating:
Other than the stated reasons of improving their service, Apple has little reason to abuse your trust, and a great deal to lose by doing so. It is not impossible they might do something that stupid; but I'd be suspicious of other companies with far greater incentives before I got too worried about Apple.

Just seems a little creepy to me lol!!! I don't have the new iPad or iPhone 4s ;). Not that interested in dictation. Great for the disabled, I would imagine. My father, who suffered a stroke for ten years before his death five years ago would have LOVED this. He was a techie in his day. Loved gadgets in general...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is a little much creepy. Technology (and science in general) is outpacing society's ability to adapt. Everyone is scrambling to adjust: from big issues like laws and civil rights down the glue of a culture (how to be moral and polite with social sites).

Most reactions

Latest posts