What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastern Tennessee - Knoxville - Atomic Bomb!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Clingmans Dome - Highest Mountain in Tennessee!

Clingmans Dome is the highest point in the Park and in Tennessee (at 6,643 ft), and is located near the TN-North Carolina border - it's the 3rd highest point east of the Mississippi River, as described below. My last visit was 20+ years ago - there is a half mile paved moderately inclined path to the observation tower and worth a visit; however, would have been a good 4 hr trip there and back after our Cades Cove lunch; the group decided an afternoon rest in the cabin was their preference; but, below just a few pics from the web of the Dome and view, which is spectacular. Dave :)

P.S. We had brought some bison filet mignons and Susan's grill pan, so 'ate in' that night and watched a movie later in the entertainment center.

At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome is the highest point in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is the highest point in Tennessee, and the third highest mountain east of the Mississippi. Only Mt. Mitchell (6,684 feet) and Mt. Craig (6,647), both located in Mt. Mitchell State Park in western North Carolina, rise higher. The observation tower on the summit of Clingmans Dome offers spectacular 360° views of the Smokies and beyond for visitors willing to climb the steep half-mile walk to the tower at the top. (Source)
GatTN_H1.png
GatTN_H2.jpg
GatTN_H3.jpg
GatTN_H4.jpg
GatTN_H5.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dolly Parton's Stampede - Dinner Show in Pigeon Forge

As many know, Dolly Parton is a country music legend and Hall of Fame member - she was born in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee and has contributed much to the community, most recently in the devastating fires in the area in 2016 discussed earlier in this travelogue. She also has a number of attractions in Pigeon Forge (and elsewhere, such as Branson, Missouri), including the Dolly Parton's Stampede, a dinner variety show emphasizing equestrian acts, but also other animals, comedy, and more - show is about 90 minutes long; also, as quoted below from a news article dated 2015, a major expensive renovation of the venue was done.

Based on our son's YouTube research, he purchased us tickets to the show - I was dubious having just attended (and enjoyed) one show in the Gatlinburg area over many visits - we were all pleasantly surprised and entertained. The acts included all sorts of animals, even bison, but mainly horses; other activities were comedy routines, audience participation, an aerial presentation w/ a flying actor attached to a ceiling wire. The dinner (pic below) was quite good - mushroom soup & cheesy fresh biscuit, small herb-flavored whole roasted chicken, piece of pork (a little dry for me), fresh corn on the cob, baked potato slice nicely buttered, and an apple pastry dessert. Susan even wanted the pictures of us taken on entrance - the package included multiple pics, key chain/magnet, and code for a download of the images - last two images of us w/ our son and DIL (yes, he's much taller than me - as is Susan's brother). Overall, a recommendation from me, but, if interested, look at reviews and watch some YouTube videos. Dave :)

PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. –-Dolly Parton’s Stampede opened this past weekend after a $2.5 million dollar renovation. In addition to new lighting, music and special effects, there is whole new scenic backdrop for the show including a wall of 12.5 million LED lights. A new aerial act has been added the show. “This has been the largest project we’ve undertaken since opening here in Pigeon Forge in 1988. Our team has been hard at work over the past few years, planning these enhancements and making sure we get everything just right,” said Jim Rule, president of Dixie Stampede. “After watching this weekend’s shows and seeing our audiences’ reactions, we’re extremely pleased with the results.”Dixie Stampede features friendly competition between the North and South with a heavy emphasis on equestrian elements.While watching the show, you eat a four course meal including a whole rotisserie chicken. (Source)
GatTN_J1.png
GatTN_J2.jpg
GatTN_J3.jpg
GatTN_J4.jpg
GatTN_J5.jpg
GatTN_J6.jpg
GatTN_J7.jpg
GatTN_J8.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow great pictures... superb

Hi Jon - welcome to the forum! :) And thanks for your comments - as you likely noticed, I use a combination of my own pics and those that I search for on the web - have a LOT of travelogue threads in the Travel Section; if interested, take a look and add some comments. Dave

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Reunion in Knoxville after 2 1/2 years!

We've not seen our son and DIL (who live in Indianapolis) in 2 1/2 years nor our 'granddog' Brody who is now 3 years old (saw him at about 6 months in the late fall of 2019 - then COVID hit early the next year). Well, we decided on a reunion by meeting somewhere in-between - picked Knoxville, TN - a little farther drive for them. Stephen, our son, found a beautiful house in the western suburbs of the city near Oak Ridge (the atomic town featured previously in this thread). The house and neighborhood are shown in the images below - 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2/ baths, basement media center w/ game consoles, really meant for 2-3 families w/ kids.

Ate in last night w/ some delivery food, likely our plan for the 4-night stay - don't believe that we will do much (obviously dog limitations at the sights and in restaurants) - no problem, Susan and I have been here several times and have seen most everything - BUT for those reading this thread and may want to visit, there are numerous posts of mine w/ the attractions. Dave :)
KnoxvilleJun22A1.png
KnoxvilleJun22A2.png
KnoxvilleJun22A3.jpeg
KnoxvilleJun22B.jpeg
KnoxvilleJun22C.jpeg
KnoxvilleJun22D.jpg
KnoxvilleJun22E.jpg
KnoxvilleJun22F.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reunion in Knoxville after 2 1/2 years!

We've not seen our son and DIL (who live in Indianapolis) in 2 1/2 years nor our 'granddog' Brody who is now 3 years old (saw him at about 6 months in the late fall of 2019 - then COVID hit early the next year). Well, we decided on a reunion by meeting somewhere in-between - picked Knoxville, TN - a little farther drive for them. Stephen, our son, found a beautiful house in the western suburbs of the city near Oak Ridge (the atomic town featured previously in this thread). The house and neighborhood are shown in the images below - 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2/ baths, basement media center w/ game consoles, really meant for 2-3 families w/ kids.

Ate in last night w/ some delivery food, likely our plan for the 4-night stay - don't believe that we will do much (obviously dog limitations at the sights and in restaurants) - no problem, Susan and I have been here several times and have seen most everything - BUT for those reading this thread and may want to visit, there are numerous posts of mine w/ the attractions. Dave :)
View attachment 96370View attachment 96371View attachment 96372View attachment 96373View attachment 96374View attachment 96375View attachment 96376View attachment 96377

Your son has a very nice house.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your son has a very nice house.
Hi Scifan.. - well, as from the maps in my post we both drove and met in Knoxville - the house is a 4-day rental but as described quite nice - large flat screen TVs everywhere and an entertainment center in the basement w/ a huge projection screen and stadium seating (3 tiers w/ about 8 seats) - well done kitchen area. I'm sleeping in a nice basement bedroom w/ a full bath - only problem is that it has been in the 90s F and the upstairs AC is not keeping up w/ the heat (there is a separate thermostat for the basement which is doing fine) - have an AC guy coming today but we have just 2 more full days here.

With their dog (pic below at 6 months - he's 3 y/o now and a 20 pound Maltese) we cannot do much regarding restaurants and indoor attractions (as there are plenty from my previous posts in this thread), and w/ the high temps even outside activities would not be fun - so just staying in, catching up, watching a lot of films (son brought his Apple TV and plugged into a HDMI port on a large living room TV - so he has a lot of selections - watched the new Downton Abbey movie that is still in the theaters last night). As to dinners, Doordash delivery has been excellent w/ plenty of choices nearby. So a pleasant visit - back home on Thursday.

P.S. my doorbell cam is over Wi-Fi so I can see my front stoop, yard, and cul-de-sac - just got a bunch of notifications on my iPad (we stopped the mail and papers) - checked and it's our yard service doing a major spring service (one guy shown below)- wish we could re-visit some of the places in and around Knoxville posted previously - son and DIL would really enjoy a number of them. :) Dave
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_3988.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Knoxville Rental House - Few More Pics

Well, since I cannot be 'out and about' in Knoxville w/ my usual scenic and historic posts, a little more about our rental house w/ a few inside shots just made with my iPhone. My son is our 'rental agent' - he likes to use Airbnb to find 'dog friendly' options - we were going to meet in Chicago in a nice rental allowing small dogs but then COVID hit - :(

Apparently this Knoxville house we are in was pretty much booked but we were able to 'squeeze in' - the first three pics are in the basement, i.e. the media room w/ a large projection screen (game consoles at the other end), a small kitchen w/ a second refrigerator, and the bedroom that I'm occupying. On the first floor a large pool table and outside hot tub which we may use (or not due to the heat - not enclosed), and finally one of the other bedrooms for kids w/ two sets of bunks. Dave :)

ADDENDUM: in the third pic of the basement 'kitchenette', there are over 300 DVDs/BDs in that corner!
KVilleHouse1.JPG

KVilleHouse2.JPG
KVilleHouse3.JPG
KVilleHouse4.JPG
KVilleHouse5.JPG

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thursday morning was our departure time - Susan and I are back home in Winston-Salem; our son, DIL, and Brody are probably still 'on the road' another hour or so? But just an update on our granddog's appearance - first pic w/ us when he was 6 months old (a Maltese pup then) - second pic is mine taken this morning w/ our DIL, Joy, holding the now 3 y/o Brody - actually grew to be rather large for that breed - weighs 20 pounds now (a little overweight - he apparently enjoys little snacks when the two of them are eating - :D

An adult male Maltese should be half or two-thirds that weight - they were concerned because my son did not like 'big' dogs growing up and wanted a small 'toy' breed - however, they had his blood tested for DNA and Brody is a 100% Maltese dog, just relatively a 'sumo wrestler' size, I guess - :cool: Dave
Indy6 2.jpg
KnoxvilleJun22 Resized.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Clingmans Dome in the Great Smokies National Park may be renamed!

In today's USA Today, I read an exciting article that Clingmans Dome, the highest mountain in the Great Smokies National Park (see first quote below) is being petitioned by the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians (story HERE) to be renamed "Kuwahi", the name used by the Native Americans for hundreds of years. The mountain was named by an American geologist for Thomas Clingman (second quote; last pic), a North Carolina congressman and senator, and later a Confederate officer who was pro-slavery. Pics below from the web and some discussion in this thread a few pages back.

For me, this is great news - Clingman certainly did not deserve the 'honor' and the original Cherokee name should be restored; plus, the anti-Confederate sentiment (statues coming down, Army bases being renamed, etc.) should help to obtain approval of this name change, the sooner the better, IMHO! Dave :)

At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome is the highest peak in the Smokies and the third highest east of the Mississippi. From the parking lot, seven miles west of Newfound Gap, walk the steep half-mile path to the 54-foot observation tower for a 360-degree view of the Park. Sunrises and sunsets are spectacular. The Appalachian Trail crosses Clingmans Dome, marking the highest point along its 2,144-mile journey. The road to Clingmans Dome is normally closed from December 1 until April 1 (Source).
Thomas Lanier Clingman (July 27, 1812 – November 3, 1897), known as the "Prince of Politicians," was a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from 1843 to 1845 and from 1847 to 1858, and U.S. senator from the state of North Carolina between 1858 and 1861. During the Civil War he refused to resign his Senate seat and was one of ten senators expelled from the Senate in absentia. He then served as a general in the Confederate States Army (Source).
ClingmanDome0.png
ClingmanDome1a.png
ClingmanDome1b.png
ClingmanDome2.jpg
ClingmanDome4.jpg
ClingmanDome5.jpg
ClingmanDome6.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts