What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Civil War Battles - Virginia & Pennsylvania

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any regulations that require that the Civil War Trust be notified of the pending sale of important battlefield lands and be given the opportunity to purchase them?

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are there any regulations that require that the Civil War Trust be notified of the pending sale of important battlefield lands and be given the opportunity to purchase them?

Not sure at all - HERE are some of the strategies and regulations used by the Civil War Trust - I would suspect that the Trust and/or persons interested in Civil War battlefield preservation have to be vigilent in keeping track of these potential acquisition properties - not sure if those wanting to develop these sites for commercial interests are required to examine their historic significance and have to explore the implications? Sorry - would need someone from the Civil War Trust to 'jump in' at this point - Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure at all - HERE are some of the strategies and regulations used by the Civil War Trust - I would suspect that the Trust and/or persons interested in Civil War battlefield preservation have to be vigilent in keeping track of these potential acquisition properties - not sure if those wanting to develop these sites for commercial interests are required to examine their historic significance and have to explore the implications? Sorry - would need someone from the Civil War Trust to 'jump in' at this point - Dave :)
Thanks for the link, it explains exactly what the Civil War Trust is trying to accomplish and how hard the job is when confronted with the profit motives of developers.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, it explains exactly what the Civil War Trust is trying to accomplish and how hard the job is when confronted with the profit motives of developers.

Glad that the link was helpful! Tomorrow, I'll start posts on the final 2 days of our trip, i.e. Richmond which could be a thread by itself, so will have to be selective - probably our 6th visit there and always stay @ the wonderful Jefferson Hotel - a 5 diamond rated property in a great location and a courtesy van to restaurants, especially in the Shockoe district - I know that I've posted some of the pics below before, but worth a repeat, especially if you're traveling in the area and want to be pampered - ;)

First image the outside - parking just across the street to the left (self or valet); lobby w/ the statue of Thomas Jefferson and the beautiful dome; next the lower lobby and the swimming pool area; then the lower lobby, upper floor and bar area setup for the fabulous Sunday champagne brunch - we like the bar area for more privacy - finally, Susan & I toasting each other w/ my two plates shown (I go for the oysters, salmon, and other shellfish) - AGAIN, if you are anywhere near this place, then drop in to look, have afternoon tea, try the brunch, or stay @ the hotel - it is special. Dave :)

JeffersonHotel_1.png
JeffersonHotel_4.png
JeffersonHotel_5.png
JeffersonHotel_6.png
JeffersonHotel_3.png
Sue_Dave_Buffet.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Richmond - Environs First

Richmond is located on the fall line of the James River and is the capital of the state of Virginia, and also the former second capital of the Confederate States of America after Virginia left the Union in the spring of 1861. The city is the fourth largest in the state and offers numerous attractions, arts, history, and plenty of excellent restaurants.

There are many sites of interest to the east on the Peninsula between the York and James Rivers; these include Jamestown (the original permanent English colony settled in 1607), Yorktown (site of the surrender of Cornwallis in the fall of 1781 to end the American Revolutionary war), Williamsburg (the colonial capital, restored town, & site of William & Mary College), and the James River Plantations, such as Shirley & Berkeley properties - see the attached map and pics.

And as to Civil War interests, this was the location of the Peninsula Campaign in early 1862 when George McClellan with a huge and well equipped Union army attempted to capture Richmond; he was up against Joseph Johnston and then Robert E. Lee; after months of tedious slow maneuvering (that frustrated Lincoln) and multiple battles, McClellan was driven off the peninsula; Lee then headed north to the second battle of Manassas, as discussed previously.

This is just a brief description of the Richmond environs - there are many other activities and one could easily spend days in this area; of course, at the tip of the peninsula is Portsmouth, Norfolk, Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach and other locales - much to see & enjoy. The pics below show some of the items described. Dave :)

P.S. misspelled McClellan's last name on my composite Keynote pic - sorry!
Peninsula_Map.png
Plantations_1.png
Plantations_4.png
Plantations_3.png
Plantations_2.png
Johnston_McCellan.png
Lincoln_Davis.png

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, most informative and enjoyable reading Dave, thank you:). In other countries, well speaking for myself anyway, many of the places and protagonists may not be familiar in detail and that is what I find informative and enjoyable reading now. But often some names stand out. Grant and Lee, of course. Towns like Gettysburg, Richmond. But I'm somewhat intreagued by that name Stonewall Jackson. An important general no doubt, but at the back of my mind I'm thinking there is another association. Something to do with "stonewalling"? Am I going off at a tangent, as they say or has that got something to do with this soldier?;)
Andrew

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad that the link was helpful! Tomorrow, I'll start posts on the final 2 days of our trip, i.e. Richmond which could be a thread by itself, so will have to be selective - probably our 6th visit there and always stay @ the wonderful Jefferson Hotel - a 5 diamond rated property in a great location and a courtesy van to restaurants, especially in the Shockoe district - I know that I've posted some of the pics below before, but worth a repeat, especially if you're traveling in the area and want to be pampered - ;)

First image the outside - parking just across the street to the left (self or valet); lobby w/ the statue of Thomas Jefferson and the beautiful dome; next the lower lobby and the swimming pool area; then the lower lobby, upper floor and bar area setup for the fabulous Sunday champagne brunch - we like the bar area for more privacy - finally, Susan & I toasting each other w/ my two plates shown (I go for the oysters, salmon, and other shellfish) - AGAIN, if you are anywhere near this place, then drop in to look, have afternoon tea, try the brunch, or stay @ the hotel - it is special. Dave :)

View attachment 65479 View attachment 65480 View attachment 65481 View attachment 65483 View attachment 65484 View attachment 65485
Just a little aside message to Sue:). Also enjoying your posts in complement to Dave's!
But your champers is going to get warm if you continue to hold your glass that way for long.....:p
Great posts, great photos by you both!
Andrew

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Again, most informative and enjoyable reading Dave, thank you:). In other countries, well speaking for myself anyway, many of the places and protagonists may not be familiar in detail and that is what I find informative and enjoyable reading now. But often some names stand out. Grant and Lee, of course. Towns like Gettysburg, Richmond. But I'm somewhat intreagued by that name Stonewall Jackson. An important general no doubt, but at the back of my mind I'm thinking there is another association. Something to do with "stonewalling"? Am I going off at a tangent, as they say or has that got something to do with this soldier?;)

Hi Andrew - thanks for your interest and comments - concerning Thomas Jonathan Jackson's nickname, I gave a brief explanation back on page two (post #28), a paragraph quoted below (sentence in bold) - a more detailed discussion in the second quote (Source).

Jackson was a professor at VMI (Virginia Military Institute) located in Lexington, VA in the Shenandoah Valley - Susan & I have visited a number of times - deserves a post on its own - but Jackson is buried there (sans left arm which is buried where he died after the battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863). Dave :)

Some battles in the Civil War had different names, i.e. the South would often use a local town or a landmark, thus the battles here were called Manassas, while the Union would typically pick a nearby river or stream, hence the battles of Bull Run (another good example in Maryland is the battle of Sharpsburg, a town or Antietam, a river - September 1862 and Lee's first invasion into the north after the success of Second Manassas) - quoted below is a brief description of First Manassas (Source). The battle involved many 'smaller fights' over a large area and ended on Henry Hill the current site of the Visitor's Center (see 2nd map w/ the black arrow added). This is where the former VMI professor and West Point graduate, Thomas Jonathan Jackson held his ground firmly and acquired the nickname 'Stonewall Jackson.' (a statue of him on horseback is shown below along w/ a portrait).

How did Jackson earn his nickname, “Stonewall”?

Jackson’s nickname was first applied to him at the First Battle of Manassas on July 21, 1861 by Confederate General Bernard Bee. Inspired by Jackson’s resolve in the face of the enemy, Bee called out to his men to inspire them: “Look, men! There is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Let us determine to die here, and we will conquer!” Exactly what General Bee said will never be known, but this version was published in the Charleston Mercury on July 25, 1861 and reprinted in the Richmond Daily Dispatch and Lexington Gazette.

Another popular version of General Bee’s exclamation is “Look at Jackson’s brigade standing like a stone wall! Rally on the Virginians!” This version appeared in several publications put out in the twenty-five years after the war. Yet another version of the quote was later put forward by Jackson’s surgeon, Hunter McGuire, in 1891: “There stands Jackson like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!”

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a little aside message to Sue:). Also enjoying your posts in complement to Dave's!
But your champers is going to get warm if you continue to hold your glass that way for long.....:p
Great posts, great photos by you both!
Andrew

Yep! LOL! Susan never likes to hold a stemmed wine glass or champagne flute by the bottom or stem - afraid that she'll spill some, I guess; but she did get all of it down (plus another glass I believe - however, she likes her sparkling wine mixed w/ a citric fruit juice - in this case, the addition of some fresh squeezed orange juice gave her a Mimosa!). Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Richmond, Virginia - Part 1

Richmond has plenty to offer a visitor - I'll mention some of the non-Civil War activities and then in Part 2, discuss attractions related to the war. Quoted below is a short list of 'what to do' while in the city - we've been to all of the places (and many at least twice). The museums are excellent - Agecroft Hall is a late 15th century Tudor manor house which was disassembled and brought to the banks of the James River - Maymont Park is beautiful w/ yet another house tour - State Capitol w/ a statue of Washington - St. John's Church was the site of Patrick Henry's speech in 1775 - and the Shockoe district is near the James River and restored canal w/ shops & restaurants.

Pictured below in order - Richmond skyline at night from across the James River; Museums of Fine Arts & Science; Agecroft Hall; State Capitol w/ the statue of George Washington inside; St. John's Church and a descriptive plaque; Shockoe district w/ the restored canal, cobblestoned streets, shops, & eateries - Dave :)

Agecroft Hall
American Civil War Center
Edgar Allen Poe Museum
Governor’s Mansion
Hollywood Cemetery
John Marshall House
St. Paul’s & John’s Churches
Maymont Park
Monument Avenue
Museum & White House of the Confederacy
State Capitol
Shockoe Slip
Tredegar Iron Works
Virginia Historical Society
Virginia Holocaust Museum
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
Virginia Science Museum
Richmond_Night.png
VAMuseumFineArts.png
VA_ScienceMuseum.png
Agecroft_Hall.png
Va_StateCapitol2.png

Washington_Capitol.png
StJohns_2.png
StJohns_1.png
Shockoe_2.png
Shockoe_1.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Richmond, Virginia - Part 1

Richmond has plenty to offer a visitor - I'll mention some of the non-Civil War activities and then in Part 2, discuss attractions related to the war. Quoted below is a short list of 'what to do' while in the city - we've been to all of the places (and many at least twice). The museums are excellent - Agecroft Hall is a late 15th century Tudor manor house which was disassembled and brought to the banks of the James River - Maymont Park is beautiful w/ yet another house tour - State Capitol w/ a statue of Washington - St. John's Church was the site of Patrick Henry's speech in 1775 - and the Shockoe district is near the James River and restored canal w/ shops & restaurants.

Pictured below in order - Richmond skyline at night from across the James River; Museums of Fine Arts & Science; Agecroft Hall; State Capitol w/ the statue of George Washington inside; St. John's Church and a descriptive plaque; Shockoe district w/ the restored canal, cobblestoned streets, shops, & eateries - Dave :)

View attachment 65496 View attachment 65497 View attachment 65498 View attachment 65499 View attachment 65500
View attachment 65505 View attachment 65506 View attachment 65507 View attachment 65508 View attachment 65509
A city as old as Richmond has a lot to offer almost anyone, from the historically inclined to those wanting the latest in entertainment. If I ever make it to Richmond, I'll make a point to see as much of it's historical attractions as possible. Thanks for your post.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A city as old as Richmond has a lot to offer almost anyone, from the historically inclined to those wanting the latest in entertainment. If I ever make it to Richmond, I'll make a point to see as much of it's historical attractions as possible. Thanks for your post.

Hi Scifan.. - Richmond has plenty of history, arts, & food - I have a couple of more posts on the city to be added soon - Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Richmond, Virginia - Part 2

When Virginia seceded from the Union after the bombardment of Ft. Sumter and Lincoln’s call to arms, the capital was moved to Richmond from Montgomery, Alabama. The city had the largest factory in the Confederacy, the Tredegar Iron Works, which produced artillery, munitions, and armor plating for its ironclads including the CSS Virginia. However, the South entered the war under many disadvantages - just look at the bar graph below - firearms & iron production were quite low compared to the North w/ the Tredegar factory being the South's main source - the following images show the size of this manufacturing complex, including a wonderful period stereoscopic view (if you can dissociate your eyes the 3-D image appears in the middle). Finally, the current appearance on the James River next to the American Civil War Center (both highly recommended visits).

Richmond was constantly threatened w/ George McClellan having an early opportunity in June/July 1862; U.S. Grant finally captured the city on April 2, 1865 after Lee’s departure from Petersburg. About 25% of the city’s buildings were damaged in a fire set to destroy supplies - Union soldiers put out the fires as they entered the city (see the two B&W historic photos); much of the destruction occurred down in the area of the James River and is still noticeable when visiting the canal area & the Shockoe district. An excellent book on the topic is ‘Richmond Burning: The Last Days of the Confederate Capital’ by Nelson Lankford.

Other Civil War related attractions include the Museum & Whitehouse of the Confederacy (pic below of the white house) near the Capitol. Also not to be missed is Monument Avenue, which is separated by an attractive landscaped division w/ trees and beautiful historic houses, BUT the the main reason for driving the avenue is to look at the monuments, most related to famous Virginians (and not all from the Civil War era) - the last images show these structures dedicated George Washington, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, J.E.B. Stuart, & Arthur Ashe. I missed discussing a few items on my list from the previous post, but all worthwhile. Dave :)

Economy_NorthvsSouth.png
Tredegar_1.png
Tredegar_3.png
Tredegar_2.png
TredegarIronWorks.png
AmCivilWarCtr_Tredegar.png

Richmond_Ruins_1.png
Richmond_Ruins_2.png

WhiteHouseConfederacy.png
MonumentAve_Washington.png
MonumentAve_Davis.png
MonumentAve_Lee.png
MonumentAve_Stuart.png
Monument_Ashe.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the South had had an industrial capacity to rival the North, the war could very well have ended differently. They couldn't out produce the North and had to contract with companies in Europe for much of what they needed, including commerce raiders such as the CSS Alabama.

Most reactions

Latest posts