What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Earphone jack

Esskay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying the earphone jack for the first time by plugging in and listening to a song on I-Tunes. The sound comes through the speakers fine, volume control works, but no sound in the earphones. I'm using the 3.5mm set from my I-pOd.
Is there some setting I need to do.....that plugging into the jack doesn't automatically turn off the speaker, turn on the earphones?

OP
E

Esskay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, i checked it again. I slid it in slowly, then pulled it out slowly. Music was coming from the speaker at a;;l times. I'm using the headphone set frm my I Pod

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's bizarre.....try rebooting your iPad....if it still happens then there might be something wrong with it. Test another set of headphones just to be sure.

galloschramme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i read somewhere (i think on this forum) somebody had the same problem
the solution was (as FrostyFire already told you):
put the jack as far as you can in the iPad, sometimes you think it's at the end, but then you still can put it a bit further…

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same problem, i have a set of headphones with mic built in, wanted to record something, did not work pulled them out and back again, need to push more than norm, did work. also found out that the pad has a built in mic, duuuuuuuuu do i yes.
headphones do work seems to be a funny thing of the pad that they need that little push extra. Great bit of kit though.

Ozzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue

Just upgraded to an iPad. I found I couldn't access the sound through the output jack socket and did a search which guided me to this forum (thankfully). Silly me, just a little more push and I would have been there.
Looking forward to reading through the rest of the forum and getting the best out of my new acquisition.
Ozzie

womp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here, no sound through the headphone jack. It took a real firm push to get the jack in that last 2 mm. Thanks again iPad Forums.net.

c21judyg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Audio jack volume controls is tricky

Eventhough you can hear the sound through the Ipad speakers without the earphones plugged in, you may not have any sound after the earphones are plugged in. You may have to turn up the sound again with the same volume switch on the side of the Ipad to be able to hear through the earphones.

This had us really baffled. You can apparently control both the speakers and the earphone jack separately with the same volume control on the side. We thought the thing was broken since we had been listening to s book in our car. It seemed to suddenly stop working but after much frustration we accidently tried turning up the volume again after plugging it in and its just fine.

teocjr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Audio output to Car Speakers

Thanks littlebuddah and others for the tip to simply give the plug, on the 3.5 mm stereo connector cable, an extra little push....it kind of snaps into place in the iPad...and out came perfect sound from our Chrysler MyGig sound system (it has an aux audio-in port).

leoks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
speaker stopped working

speaker jack stopped working is there a setting I'm missing.

nozzles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No sound from ipad headphone socket

The problem could be a little deeper than just a firm push of the headphone plug. I was puzzled why there was no sound from the headphone socket, yet the speakers were fine. Previously the headphone had worked OK.
I had just updated the software but had not turned off the ipad.
I held down the front button and the top button of the ipad together for 15 seconds and rebooted the ipad (incidentally this also works if for some reason the ipad simply will not switch on- ie the screen is dead).
The ipad now has perfect volume on both speaker and earphone connection.

Bangladesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help

I have the same problem iv tried everything everyone said but it doesn't work I had my iPad for three months use the same earphones and one day it doesnt work iv tried the ones that came with it.....no success :p so can anyone help me also for some reason the sound from the speakers are sounding funny plz HELP!!!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem iv tried everything everyone said but it doesn't work I had my iPad for three months use the same earphones and one day it doesnt work iv tried the ones that came with it.....no success :p so can anyone help me also for some reason the sound from the speakers are sounding funny plz HELP!!!!

I am slightly puzzled as you say you tried the ones that came with it. But the iPad doesn't come with any earphones, so I was wondering which ones you're referring to? Have you tried them on another device to check that the problem is with the iPad and not with the earphones.

Tim

Benennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Earphone jack - no sound

I have the same problem with no sound from the earphone jack - speakers work even when the headphone jack is pushed in all the way. I have had my iPad for almost a year and primarily use headphones without a problem until yesterday. I have tried other headphones, ensuring the jack was completely plugged in, adjusted volume control with no luck. I've seen many post about the same problem but no solutions other than what I've already tried. Anyone have any other ideas? First time on this forum. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts