What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 outgoing mail password

Mooneys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just changed my provider to eircom. Incoming mail on the ipad was fine after the change. However I couldn't get the ipad to accept the outgoing mail server details - accepting the password seemed to be the problem. I deleted the account and tried to reinstall it but it still won't accept the outgoing mail server details, and now won't reinstall at all on account of that. I have no problem with the (Outlook) mail on my pc, using the same details. The service provider can't figure it out and suggested I contact Apple. Any suggestions?

OP
M

Mooneys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

Try this link:
https://www.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/

It will show you the right settings for the email account. Use these for setting up the account.
Thanks JA, I still seem to have a problem. The outgoing details box doesn't let me have no password for authentication (which is the option in that Apple help page), it's either password, apple token, MD%, NTLM or HTTPMD5, whatever they are.

Also, my outgoing mail server is now designated as smtp.gmail.com, which I don't want. I'm not sure what to put in the 'not configured' box under 'host name', 'user name' and password' (these last two are apparently optional) when I try to designate the primary server, I've tried one or two combinations unsuccessfully.

Any further suggestions? I feel a bit thick not being able to do this, but there you are.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The host name should be the same as the IMAP one, just "smtp" instead of "imap" at the start (if it's an IMAP account). As an example:
One of my email addresses shows this setting in IMAP: imap.a1.net. The SMTP setting is smtp.a1.net. Try this. You don't have to enter a password or username.

I suppose your iPad configured the outgoing mail server with "smtp.gmail.com", because it was available from your Gmail account, if you set it up on your device. As soon as the setting for the eircom account works, you'll be able to change this.

OP
M

Mooneys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The host name should be the same as the IMAP one, just "smtp" instead of "imap" at the start (if it's an IMAP account). As an example:
One of my email addresses shows this setting in IMAP: imap.a1.net. The SMTP setting is smtp.a1.net. Try this. You don't have to enter a password or username.

I suppose your iPad configured the outgoing mail server with "smtp.gmail.com", because it was available from your Gmail account, if you set it up on your device. As soon as the setting for the eircom account works, you'll be able to change this.

Ok, got that. The eircom service uses a pop account. I've set up everything as per Apple's recommendation on the link you gave me - many thanks for that. The only thing I can't comply with is for the outgoing mail, Apple says no password, but I can't untick that option in the authentication panel, so I've left it as it is.

So I'm still getting 'cannot get mail, the mail server ''webmail.eircom.net'' is not responding' when I open mail. That server (webmail etc) refers to the incoming mail server, which I've set up as per the link's advice.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there something like 2 step verification for this account, and do you use it?

OP
M

Mooneys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there something like 2 step verification for this account, and do you use it?
What I've done: I've set up about 3 new accounts with the various options that I could have used for host/user name, etc. and I've found that I'm now getting mail and sending it successfully. Mind you when I open mail I keep getting 3 notices saying various mailboxes aren't working, so it could be that one of them is working for incoming mail and another for outgoing. I'll settle for that I think!

Many thanks for your help JA, I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Latest posts