What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duplicate App Folders after Jailbreak/Upgrade

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iPad 1 and it was previously on IOS3 and was jailbroken.

Some time ago I upgraded it to IOS 5.0.1 and jailbroke it again. After the jailbreak was completed, I noticed a large amount of space under "Other", and the total space kind of doubled, suggesting that the jailbreak could have resulted in orphaned files.

After some investigations, I used iFile and discovered that all the apps that I had prior to the 5.01 upgrade/jailbreak are now duplicated! I have 2 app folders for each app. Obviously only one of them are being used by the iPad and the other is an orphaned folder.

I had tried to manually figure out which is the "live" folder and which is the orphaned folder by cutting and pasting them out in sequence. ie I will cut out App Folder A, then try to run the program, and then try the same on App Folder B and run again. If the App can't run on whcihever folder being cut out, then that is the "live" app folder. I will then paste it back and delete the other one.

Trouble with this approach is that iFile is slow with hundreds of apps that I got, and the whole trial/error process is also very time consuming. Is thre a way to deltee these orphaned app folders so a to reclaim the sapce under "Other"? There's about 8GB of "Other" i have now and it is a huge amount.

Thanks!

VaibhavRohan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now dont trust me on this, but i just think that the icleaner tweak on cydia might be able to help. I have no idea though. It has an application cleanup setting which MIGHT help.im not even sure if its even optimized for the ipad but i use it every now and then. Let me know if it works out.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

c_strong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can reset all settings do this ? or restore your IPAD from DFU mode ? then re-JB ?

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it require such a drastic step like restoring? Am concerned I'd lose data or end up not being able to JB again.

VaibhavRohan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well according to me there is now a jailbrek for all devices on the latest firmware. Did u try icleaner yet? It cant make it any worse than it is now!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes already tried iCleaner, no effect.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion, I would go ahead and restore the iPad to a stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak it.

You could also try to "restore from backup" after you finish the Absinthe jail break. But, it may be corrupted as badly as your iPad is now. However, there is no way to see unless you actually try it and it's the only way to get your data and settings back.

TBH, I'd try the upgrade and then the restore from backup. If it works and fixes that Other space problem, then you're done. If it doesn't solve the problem, the issue IS in your backup and you'll have to restore and set it up as new.

Unfortunately, unless you want to live with the duplicate folders, I see no other solution for you. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mickey,

Can you tell me which of the options you have presented will not cause me to lose my saved data, like game progress, settings and the like? This is my primary concern.

Also, is there a need to upgrade OS? Can I simply stay on 5.0.1 and do what you suggested?

In my opinion, I would go ahead and restore the iPad to a stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak it.

You could also try to "restore from backup" after you finish the Absinthe jail break. But, it may be corrupted as badly as your iPad is now. However, there is no way to see unless you actually try it and it's the only way to get your data and settings back.

TBH, I'd try the upgrade and then the restore from backup. If it works and fixes that Other space problem, then you're done. If it doesn't solve the problem, the issue IS in your backup and you'll have to restore and set it up as new.

Unfortunately, unless you want to live with the duplicate folders, I see no other solution for you. Sorry.

Marilyn

Most reactions