What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb Question

stevenflaugher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get the 3G model, how do I get it up and running? I don't have a PC. Doesn't the iPad need to be hooked up with iTunes through a PC. Please inform what to do!

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you need at least to hook it one time with you're iTunes account ... and if you really don't have a PC you download app's , music and video over the app's itunes store with the same account you use the first time

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure

That's a good question. I do know that the first thing I had to do with my iPad was synch it to iTunes.

My guess is that you have two options (one likely and one not):

1) "borrow" another computer. Either work or a friend's that can have an account setup for you. Then just use it periodically to backup and update your account. I have rarely needed to synch my iPhone since I have had it, and usually to sync music/apps back to my computer so that my wife (iPhone) or daughter (iPod Touch) can access them. The rest of the time it is for updates and to make sure that it backs up my purchases.

2) Unlikely, but maybe the Apple Store can help initialize the iPad. Then you are on your own. Though I doubt they would support that.

Best of luck,

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad /iTunes

2) Unlikely, but maybe the Apple Store can help initialize the iPad. Then you are on your own. Though I doubt they would support that.

Best of luck,

Don't work as you iPad need to activated with you're itunes account

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steven,

I doubt it, but you can always ask. Realistically, just ask a good friend to setup a separate account for you on their computer. Create your iTunes account and sync the iPad. Then just stop by every few weeks to backup your content and get the latest updates.

Or heck, buy a $200 used cheap computer. And keep it in the closet. Pull it out every few weeks when you need to update.

stevegm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Activate in store

When I picked mine up yesterday morning the apple store was offering to activate them in store. The iPad must be activated through iTunes before the first use. After that, you need to sync through iTunes periodically (maybe 4 times a year if my iPhone is any indication). Therefore, you really should have access to iTunes but I believe you can activate in the apple store when you first get it. And you can download apps, music, etc. without a computer. I took mine home and activated because the store was crazy busy and I wanted to get out and play with it.

As a word of encouragement, it is better than I even imagined, and worth the wait.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You go to iTunes on the iPad and set up an account with them. That means you give them an e-mail account and a password. This allows you to download apps. It is recommended that your e-mail account not be only accessabile thru the iPad.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't get past the fact you don't have a computer. 21st century is knocking and it wants to come in;)

OP
S

stevenflaugher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can actually set-up an iTunes account on a new iPad? I thought I need an existing iTunes account to get the iPad activated and working.

Could I register and open an iTunes account on someone's PC, then go into an Apple Store and have them activate the iPad and sync it with my iTunes account?

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve, someone else mentioned that they will activate your iPad in the store. But I think all of us are running blind and guessing based on past experience. In the end, your best bet would be to talk to someone at Apple who can let you know the limitations of this method.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have an e-mail account? That should be all you need. Even if you do not have one, you can go to most libraries. Besides, how are you on here? The Apple store should be able to let you connect through their wifi and you can sign up for e-mail and a itunes account with the iPad. They would know how to do it without any effort.

Last edited:
OP
S

stevenflaugher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have several email accounts. I just hope the Apple Store can set-up the device so it's up and running before I leave the store!

Most reactions

Latest posts