What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox clarification questions

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone with a lot of Dropbox & iWorks experience can clarify a few things for me.

Just so you know, I am primarily a Windows user, have been for years, but I fell in love with the ease of use and portability of the iPad, and my sweet wife got me one for Christmas. Being that I am back in school after 20 years, I am excited about the possibilities it provides for my studies.

Questions:

Can I use Dropbox with iWorks (Pages, Keynotes, etc.)

Do I save files directly to Dropbox, or to the iPad THEN to Dropbox, or both?

If the answer to the above is NO, what are my options? I've already purchase Pages, Keynotes and Numbers, and like what I see. I'd rather not purchase addition software outside of what I would need to upload or download from Dropbox.

Thank you for your help,

Hal

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think dropbox works with those apps, but Apple has iwork.com, a free sharing service that is supported by all the iwork apps. I have used it a little, and it works, but so will emailing things.
Congrats on going back to school!
Please let us know how well your ipad helps you in your studies.
I am a teacher, and I am trying to get our school to replace our old laptops with ipads, but it looks like an uphill battle.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is just a server farm. If you can save the file to a PC, then you can save it to Dropbox. It is like having an external hard drive that's available to any device.

Whatever file you put on Dropbox may be available to any device but that doesn't mean you can open it. You need an app for that. So the app is where iwork comes in. Of course, iWork has their own file sharing system so Droopbox should nto even be neccesary. But other apps may need other formats. Dropbox is more universal.

Not sure if any of that answers your question.

Nate

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox is not the issue, the issue is the iPad and what apps will allow dropbox uploading. Since, iPad doesn't let us "save to..." without app specific support Dropbox is not always available... and as far as I've seen with Pages, this is one app that doesn't comply. As tdmsu suggested if you just want portability with the files you can use the iwork save site. If not, you'll need different software (which you didn't want to expend)....IE: documents to go or other. I'm thinking for myself to invest in Docs to go as I use that also on my phone.

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is disappointing. Too bad there isn't a file manager type app for the iPad to help upload and download to Dropbox, as there is with my windows laptop.

What about Goodreader? From what I had read, it looks like it might be a work around for my problem. Complete work in Page/Numbers/Keynote, open in Goodreader, upload via goodreader to Dropbox.

???

Thanks!

Hal

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pages is an Apple app and, as said, they have their own cloud system. I have, however, saved Pages docs to Dropbox. I use Pages for the document, save and email as pdf or doc and open the attachment in email to Goodreader where its very easy to backup to Dropbox. However I generally use Office HD (I'm also a longtime PC person) which is integrated with Dropbox and just easy to work directly with Dropbox with no emailing. There are many apps that are integrated. I use several notetaking apps, photo organization apps, Goodreader and more, all integrated and move files around with it from desktop to laptoo to Touch to Ipad. You get 2gb free storage with Dropbox.

You do have to have an app that will open the file from Dropbox but all docs and spreadsheets, pdfs, .jpgs. are no issue. You will need one app (and there are several good ones) that can deal with Win files. Pages has no organization at all which is why I moved to Office HD where I can organize with folders and work directly with Dropbox.

Diane

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
This is disappointing. Too bad there isn't a file manager type app for the iPad to help upload and download to Dropbox, as there is with my windows laptop.

What about Goodreader? From what I had read, it looks like it might be a work around for my problem. Complete work in Page/Numbers/Keynote, open in Goodreader, upload via goodreader to Dropbox.

???

Thanks!

Hal

Because of iOS's app sandboxing approach, it wont be as easy as finishing documents in Pages and then opening that same document in GoodReader immediately. Goodreader doesn't have direct access to Pages files and vice versa.

The method I use seems kind of archaic, but it gets me out of a bind when I need to "quickly" put a document on DropBox. I use QuickOffice HD for this but I don't see why GoodReader can't be used instead. this is what I do:
1) make my document in Pages, Numbers, etc.
2) email document to myself
3) go to email app and find document
4) in "Open with..." menu choose QuickOffice HD
5) from QuickOffice HD save or drag the document to my DropBox folder

It does seem a little roundabout, but it works for me.

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone with a lot of Dropbox & iWorks experience can clarify a few things for me.

Just so you know, I am primarily a Windows user, have been for years, but I fell in love with the ease of use and portability of the iPad, and my sweet wife got me one for Christmas. Being that I am back in school after 20 years, I am excited about the possibilities it provides for my studies.

Questions:

Can I use Dropbox with iWorks (Pages, Keynotes, etc.)

Do I save files directly to Dropbox, or to the iPad THEN to Dropbox, or both?

If the answer to the above is NO, what are my options? I've already purchase Pages, Keynotes and Numbers, and like what I see. I'd rather not purchase addition software outside of what I would need to upload or download from Dropbox.

Thank you for your help,

Hal

I would recommend looking at the following thread where we have been discussing the same basic questions. You may find some additional help there.

* Apple iPad Forum » Apple iPad Discussions » iPad General Discussions - Filemanager / pdf / office docs

OP
Hal05154

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the help! I appreciate it a lot. It's too bad Apple makes such cool electronics, but so indifferent to users desires and needs. :(

Kidtachyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Eltos is right on. Check out DAVdrop. It will work for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts