What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox and Numbers

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
When i open an excell file from Dropbox into Numbers and make some changes, how can i set it up so Dropbox would update these changes and sync to my windows7 pc.

The problem is not syncing with pc, but updating my changes to Dropbox

Thanks for any help

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We had moved your thread to the iPad apps area, we understand that it will get better attention on this area.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no direct way of doing it.

If you are willing to pay a small monthly fee, DropDAV will let you connect to your DropBox account using the WebDAV import/export options in Numbers.

sendtodropbox.com will give you an email address that will deposit email attachments in a folder on DropBox. You have to move them manually after they arrive, which can take a while depending on the sendtodropbox server's load.

You can email them to yourself, then use the Open In... feature in Mail to copy them to the DropBox app. It will take you to the upload screen/options automatically.

In some cases you will be creating a new file, not replacing/syncing with the old one. In others you may have the option to replace the old file. There is no way to automatically sync the file at this time.

Or you can wait for iOS 5 and iCloud to see how it works there.

Thats all I've got.

OP
Guy1717

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Twerppoet, at least I don't have to waist my time figuring it out.
I'll hope it will work with Icloud

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. We're all waiting to see what iOS 5 brings. And just like Christmas it keeps getting harder to be patient. :)

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can send your file from Numbers to box.net via webdav (free).

Then download the file from box.net to your Windows computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DropDAV is great, but no longer free. It is not a lot of money, but I have other choices (old MobileMe user), so I stopped using it when they started charging.

OP
Guy1717

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
DropDAV is great, but no longer free. It is not a lot of money, but I have other choices (old MobileMe user), so I stopped using it when they started charging.

I'm using docs to go premium now with dropbox and it works

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm using docs to go premium now with dropbox and it works

Ah, but the subject was how to make it work with Numbers.

Documents to Go is a nice enough application, and if I really needed the few other features, and better DropBox integration, I'd probably get it; but the iWorks applications do what I want, and do it very well (for mobile apps). Being an iMac owner with the OSX versions of iWorks also makes it worth sticking with what I've got. :)

BTW, Box.net is looking like the better cloud storage/sharing solution for iWorks. It has WebDav service, but loses the local file syncing on the computer (for the free account); so not perfect, but better (imo) than Dropbox for these apps.

And it's not like it's an either or choice. You can have both. :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts