What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draining battery to 1%?

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just enquiring what is the average charge time for a full charge for the battery, mine takes like all night to charge about 2 3rds. Don't know if that is normal?

I using a 3rd party docking station connected to the Apple supplied 10W charger.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just enquiring what is the average charge time for a full charge for the battery, mine takes like all night to charge about 2 3rds. Don't know if that is normal?

I using a 3rd party docking station connected to the Apple supplied 10W charger.

I use a Griffin PowerBlock for iPad and it takes about two hours to get to about 80 percent from 2 percent. I've found that using the same charger with another, longer cord (one that didn't come with the charger) took a lot longer. I found that the charger counts, as does the cord, so I don't use anything else now, because I always want the fastest charge.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
Apple recommends running it all the way down once a month to keep the battery meter calibrated.
This in no way increases battery life though.

Boy, that's for sure (the last sentence). The battery has a finite number of charge/recharge cycles. Running the battery down half way then charging back up would be one half of one of those limited cycles and commencerately more or less... you know what I'm getting at. Fully discharging, just to keep the percentage number on track is a waste of precious overall battery life. Yes, once a month may not be that often in the big scheme of things, and I might not have my iPad 2 long enough to suffer a bad battery issue.... maybe. Every laptop I have ever owned and also every cell phone I have ever owned needed replacement batteries during the time I had them and used them. Considering the difficulty and expense of having the iPad battery replaced (especially the iPad 2), I'll take battery state "guessing" over fully discharging, for sure.

[[ EDIT ]] I just realized that I had missed a whole page full of responses before writing the above. In spite of some very good information, I think I'll let my opinion stand.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Pargadox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My runs to 1% then it shuts off, cause its using the last procent to indicate the low battery when you try to turn it on.

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pargadox said:
My runs to 1% then it shuts off, cause its using the last procent to indicate the low battery when you try to turn it on.

And that's exactly what it should do.
I would be concerned if it went to 0%. :)

BobDenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DM51, thank you for real information (as opposed to old wives' tales etc.). Too many people spout the old NiCad BS.

butterfly68za

iPF Noob
Reaction score
butterfly68za said:

I had an USB extension cable in between, removed it, have the docking station plugged directly into the Apple charger. Now it charges 100 % in less time with Airplane mode disabled. The previous setup was with Airplane mode enabled. I'm thinking the cable was too long?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an USB extension cable in between, removed it, have the docking station plugged directly into the Apple charger. Now it charges 100 % in less time with Airplane mode disabled. The previous setup was with Airplane mode enabled. I'm thinking the cable was too long?

The big diff probably is the extension cable. There seem to be more bad ones than good ones. I tried an extender with a great charger and it took forever to charge, compared with the original cable, which worked fast. I ended up attaching the charger to a regular electrical extension cord instead of using a USB extension cable. You can buy good ones, but the ones I've read about are relatively pricey and I didn't bother to compare further.

Most reactions