What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downloading your DVD's onto ipad

Skip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like handbrake personally. I use the iPad setting and but I change the sound quality to 64kbps and overall file size to 700mb.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a combination of DVD43 and Handbrake; both are free programs. Using the iPad setting in Handbrake my conversions have ended up being around 1-2GB

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the original poster without a product placement:

The DVD has to be transferred into afile-type that the iPad can read.

This involves two steps:

1. "ripping" a copy of the movie from the DVD
2. Translating that ripped code into an iPad-friendly format

The reason why I described it as two steps is because most movies are copy-protected to stop people from doing what you want to do.

The Free programs on the net that do this are very good but I find them a bit user-unfriendly. They don't always successfully break the copy-protection and quite a few have to be "massaged" to avoid lip-sync issues.

There are a lot of programs you can buy that make this a one-button process.

Concerning file-size: You can go as small as you like but as you go smaller you sacrifice picture quality. I have found that 700MB or so looks very good on the iPad.

Last edited:

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is why I use DVD43. I have never had any issue with it not removing the blockers all the way plus it automatically works in the back ground when you put the DVD into the computer, so while there is a second step in the process you only have to worry about one of them, opening handbrake.

Handbrake does take awhile though (3-5 hours depending on the size of the movie) so I always make sure to set it up before going to bed.

I have been using both or these programs successfully since buying my iPod Video about 5-6 years ago.

thomkat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try handbrake. It's A great open source program for ripping DVDs to your computer while converting them to a variety of formats. You can even specify the amount of memory the encoding will take up, allowing you to put tons of content on your device, regardless of it's capacity

iCan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about a DVD with a different region code than computer?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts