What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download ods file & others

Kumba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
someone send me a ods file ( libre office) I do not see this in my download list.
do I first have to install Libre To show the file on my iPad ?
note; I hav a iPad Pro

Another question, I ve imported Word documents, but I cannot edit them. How come ?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Mail? Attachment in Mail do not go directly to the download folder. You'll need to hold down on it until the pop-up menu appears then either Save File, or Share it. Save file will give you the oportunity to save it to a file in the Files app. Share will give you more options, including the abilty to open it direcly in the Libre Office app (providing the developer set up it's file types correctly).

I do not have Libre Office, so I can not be certain of the exact procedure.

OP
K

Kumba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Mail? Attachment in Mail do not go directly to the download folder. You'll need to hold down on it until the pop-up menu appears then either Save File, or Share it. Save file will give you the oportunity to save it to a file in the Files app. Share will give you more options, including the abilty to open it direcly in the Libre Office app (providing the developer set up it's file types correctly).

I do not have Libre Office, so I can not be certain of the exact procedure.
oké thank you. Done. Now the next step , to edit docX files. I’ll dig in that later again

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
oké thank you. Done. Now the next step , to edit docX files. I’ll dig in that later again
Hello Kumba - welcome to the forum! :) I assume that you have Apple's Pages on your iPad (hopefully the newest version) - quoted below from their Pages Support Article indicates that the app can handle Word documents - give it a try and good luck. Dave

Open a document in Pages on iPad​

You can open documents saved on your iPad, in iCloud Drive, on connected servers, in other third-party storage providers, and on an external storage device that’s connected to your iPad. You can also open and edit Microsoft Word documents (files with a .doc or .docx filename extension) and text documents (files with a .rtf or .txt filename extension) in Pages, then save them as Pages or Word documents, or in PDF or EPUB formats.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Kumba - welcome to the forum! :) I assume that you have Apple's Pages on your iPad (hopefully the newest version) - quoted below from their Pages Support Article indicates that the app can handle Word documents - give it a try and good luck. Dave

While porting docx files to Pages or Libre Office works ok as a one time thing, if you are going to keep moving the document between Word and other wordprocessors, things start to fall apart. None of the various programs are 100 percent compatible, so each time you import/export the file you accumulate minor changes.

OP
K

Kumba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While porting docx files to Pages or Libre Office works ok as a one time thing, if you are going to keep moving the document between Word and other wordprocessors, things start to fall apart. None of the various programs are 100 percent compatible, so each time you import/export the file you accumulate minor changes.
I went away for some time and did not dig further into this until yesterday. I deleted Libre, even dropbox. Now the ODS file was received thru whatsapp. Now i hold until i only have one option “ download” . The file shows up in’“ ICloud” .it is visible in Files, where I do not ve the option to share in Numbers, only; Messenger; telegram; airdrop and so on.In Numbers this shows, When pressing on “ open” it does not open it. Only basic info. It seems with my little knowledge i ve , that ODS is not compatible, with Numbers.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I do not belivfe .ods is compatible with Numbers. You were talking about Word copatibility, so I thought you'd be using docx files. Did not even consider the possibility of ods. Sorry.

Most reactions

Latest posts