What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Office alternative app

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've used Office HD/Quick Edit for about 4 years and have really liked it but when presented with finding a 'free' office alternative for a PC for a friend besides Libre I discovered WPS Office (formerly Kingsoft Office) now has an IOS app. This will be perfect for her since she will be getting an Ipad this Fall and uses an Iphone. I downloaded it to my Ipad Air (have not installed on my PC yet) and found it to be very good, works with Cloud (Dropbox for me), quite easy to use/relatively intuitive if you've used Word before (admittedly haven't tried editing/creating Spreadsheets yet but it shows them with correct formatting). I checked the formatting in the MS Word for Ipad and formatting in Word was correct also. So far I can recommend this app and the fact that it "shares' with the PC WPS app plus Dropbox is a plus for many. Not sure if this has been mentioned before but thought I would add it as its a very good Office alternative (and did I say FREE) and I've tried about all the apps, though I have preferred Office HD/Quick Edit (changed its name the week MS Office for Ipad was announced) all these years since they pay attention to details, customers and upgrade consistently--and the "Office" experience is good.

Diane

prflyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded WPS Office app to my iPad Air today. Haven't used it much but have opened/edited/saved word and excel documents without a problem (don't use powerpoint). As far as I know the app preserves document format when importing and exporting.

I would like the ability to open, compose or edit office documents occasionally on iPad Air but before finding this program I didn't have that opportunity, I just could view them with the Office app for iPad (in order to view them correctly). For my needs the purchase of an office 365 subscription is not merited since I already own Office.

I deleted from iPad Air the Office app after installing this app.

Love the ability to use all the major Cloud Drives and of course that it's free !!!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've actually had a lot of luck just using the Apple version of the office apps. Pages, numbers, etc all seem to get the job done for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts