What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic backup for Office files to cloud

maninmoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am using Office 365 for mainly Word and Excel.

How can I ensure that my documents which are saved on the device, get backed up to the cloud in background at some point?

I DO NOT want to manually copy them to iCloud or SkyDrive. I want the backup to be done for me in background. I also DO NOT want to initially store the files on the cloud as that is very slow to open and further, I cannot open them when away from Wifi.

It is my understanding that iTunes doesn't backup my actually word and excel files...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ITunes and iCloud backups "probably" do back up the local copies of your files; but I can't guarantee it. The only way to be sure would be to try restoring the iPad from a backup, but obvioulsy that's not a great way to find out.

As for the rest, given your requirements there is nothing you can do to make this work. It is up to the developer (Microsoft) to supply this kind of functionality. If they don't, they don't.

However, in my experience recent files stored in OneDrive from the Office apps are almost always available off line. Also, the OneDrive app has the ability to mark files for local stoarage, so that they are always avaialble off line as well. OneDrive, being Micorsoft's own service, is the only solution that is integrated to this extent.

Other services like DropBox, Box, and probalby others have the ability to mark files for offline use as well; but I don't know how well Office will integrate them. You could experiment. Turning Airplain Mode on/off is a good way to see what stays available offline.

While I've never been there, I'm sure Microsoft has a support page where you can ask specific questions. I'd trust their answers over mine. I do use Office 365, but not enought to know all it's features and foibles.

I recenlty had to upgrade Office 365 to a paid account (iPad Pro does not let you use Office for free), and started using OneDrive at the same time; so I'm not certain that what I've said is true for the free tiers.

OP
M

maninmoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I pay for 365 too. I will try your onedrive idea. That might work for me.

I am really surprised that there is no app that backs up files in background mode. I would think that would be very helpful. I really don't like restoring my entire ipad just to retrieve a file I have messed up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Backups are, in my oppinion, the weakest link in the all iOS setup. Once you decide that you can do everything you want on iOS, the next important question is how safe your work files are, and there are no solid iOS only solutions.

Most reactions