What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Download Legacy Apps

gobbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running ios 6 on my ipad and would like to download some apps, however when I try to download from the app store, it says only compatible with ios 7+. Is there somewhere or somehow I could find ios 6 compatible versions of these apps?

And no I do not have the ios 6 version stored in my itunes via backup or anything like that.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that if you never owned an earlier Apple/legacy app, you can't get it now (unless you upgrade your iOS).

It's Apple's way of ensuring people stay on or go to the most current iOS.

And no, there is no other way to get an older version of Apple's apps. Sorry.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The following is not without risk.

Sometimes, you can fool the iTunes Store into giving you the older version. But there is no guarantee it will work.

If the developer wants to, they can offer older versions of an app for download from the Purchased tab. This means you have to already have downloaded/purchased the app. And it only works when you try to download the app on the older device.

If you purchase an app from the iTunes Store on the computer, it does not filter by iOS version. That means you can download just about anything you want, whether your device will run it or not. Once you've done this, you can go to the Purchased tab on your iOS device and try to download it from there. If an older version is available, it should be offered.

For various reasons this does not always work. It's probably worth trying for free apps. Not much to lose there. But if you're looking at a paid app you could easily end up paying for nothing.

Hold in mind that if it does work, you are still getting an older version of the app. It may look different and lack many of the features advertised for the newest version.

OP
G

gobbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The following is not without risk.

Sometimes, you can fool the iTunes Store into giving you the older version. But there is no guarantee it will work.

If the developer wants to, they can offer older versions of an app for download from the Purchased tab. This means you have to already have downloaded/purchased the app. And it only works when you try to download the app on the older device.

If you purchase an app from the iTunes Store on the computer, it does not filter by iOS version. That means you can download just about anything you want, whether your device will run it or not. Once you've done this, you can go to the Purchased tab on your iOS device and try to download it from there. If an older version is available, it should be offered.

For various reasons this does not always work. It's probably worth trying for free apps. Not much to lose there. But if you're looking at a paid app you could easily end up paying for nothing.

Hold in mind that if it does work, you are still getting an older version of the app. It may look different and lack many of the features advertised for the newest version.

@twerppoet... Wow you are a genius that worked perfectly. I seriously cannot thank you enough. I just wish Apple could write this kind of information somewhere rather thank keep it a secret. This just made my day thank you sooooooooooooo much !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey330 sorry but your information is incorrect. Thanks for trying to help but twerppoet was able to resolve my issue. I doubt many even know about this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are welcome.

To be fair to Marilyn the method I described is not approved by Apple, and may stop working at any time. Not that it's guaranteed to work even once.

It's an at-your-own-risk sort of thing. Especially with paid apps.

Most reactions