What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Contacts

samgilmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connect my ipad2 to iTunes and sync I get double and triple contacts on iPad and iPhone. If I correct them in my devices that's fine but every time I sync it happens again.. I don't us iCloud had a lot of conflicts with iCloud. Any body ideas. Thanks Sam G

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like you're syncing with an online service, but forgot to turn off the syncing in iTunes. Don't do both. It causes a loop that will duplicate you contacts.

Everything, computer and devices, should sync to a single source. If you use iCloud then your contacts on the computer and device should sync just to iCloud, not directly to each other.

iCloud almost never causes conflicts. Conflicts are caused when the same contact is changed in two places before it can be synced to all devices or computers. In order to cause a conflict with iCloud you would need to keep either your iPad or computer off line; make changes on both, then bring the both devices back online.

Conflicts with iTunes are much likelier. All you have to do is edit the same contact on both devices in between syncs.

OP
S

samgilmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sounds like you're syncing with an online service, but forgot to turn off the syncing in iTunes. Don't do both. It causes a loop that will duplicate you contacts.

Everything, computer and devices, should sync to a single source. If you use iCloud then your contacts on the computer and device should sync just to iCloud, not directly to each other.

iCloud almost never causes conflicts. Conflicts are caused when the same contact is changed in two places before it can be synced to all devices or computers. In order to cause a conflict with iCloud you would need to keep either your iPad or computer off line; make changes on both, then bring the both devices back online.

Conflicts with iTunes are much likelier. All you have to do is edit the same contact on both devices in between syncs.

Thanks I will give a try.. I tried iCloud but perhaps I did not have it setup correctly. Thanks again

OP
S

samgilmore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
samgilmore said:
Thanks I will give a try.. I tried iCloud but perhaps I did not have it setup correctly. Thanks again

It does the same thing on iPad and iPhone I have made the changes on my pc but I devises keep duplicating Does the ICloud accont have to have the same address on all 3 devises my PC and I devises?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you want them all to have the same address's and stay in sync then they must all use the same iCloud account.

To be clear, with your devices connected and selected in iTunes, you went to the Info pane for each device (iPhone and iPad) and turned off contact/calendar, and any other syncing? This has to be done for both devices.

You also need to have your computer syncing to iCloud. This is done in System Preference for a Mac. There is something called the iCloud Control Panel for a PC (Vista or nor newer).

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

If so, try this.

Go to icloud.com from your computer browser. See if your contacts are doubled there. If they are:

Turn off your calendar syncing on your iPhone and iPad in the iCloud settings. When it asks if you want to delete the contacts off your devices, say yes.

Delete all duplicates, either at icloud.com or on the computer, and confirm that the changes have synced back to the other.

Once that has been done and seems to work (you can try making changes and see if they sync), go ahead and turn the contacts back on for each device.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts