What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your iPad 2 have yellowish white?

Dearlt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad 2 and first thing I notice is the display is kind of "hot". Comparing it with my iPad 1 shows the white on iPad 2 is kind of yellowish, whereas on the iPad 1 it's more neutral, on the "cool" side. It's very apparent when you look at both side by side.

Overall the iPad 2 is not pleasant for me to look at, I keep trying to adjust the brightness, but it just does not feel right. I'm very conscious I'm looking at a backlit screen.

If I look at it at an angle, then it looks more like the iPad 1, but that's not going to work obviously

Does anyone else see this? Is this normal for an iPad 2?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad 2 and first thing I notice is the display is kind of "hot". Comparing it with my iPad 1 shows the white on iPad 2 is kind of yellowish, whereas on the iPad 1 it's more neutral, on the "cool" side. It's very apparent when you look at both side by side.

Overall the iPad 2 is not pleasant for me to look at, I keep trying to adjust the brightness, but it just does not feel right. I'm very conscious I'm looking at a backlit screen.

If I look at it at an angle, then it looks more like the iPad 1, but that's not going to work obviously

Does anyone else see this? Is this normal for an iPad 2?

Thanks

If you look through the Forum you'll be aware that a significant number of iPad2 users are suffering from 'backlight bleeding', where the display backlight is 'leaking' around the edges of the display. This is particularly evident if you look at the screen in a dark room and find something to view on the iPad that is very dark or, if possible, entirely black. Then you see this 'bleeding' as luminous patches around the edges of the screen, where the backlight is 'leaking'.

It appears as though a proportion of iPad2s are suffering from this problem to a greater or lesser extent and though Apple are not publicly acknowledging the problem, they are operating an 'ask no questions' exchange policy. So, have a look around the Forum, you'll see several news articles and videos posted here that illustrate the problem; if you feel that your unit is suffering similarly and the effect worries you or you find it unpleasant, then return your iPad to an Apple Store for an exchange.

Have a look here

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...lacing-ipad-2s-backlight-bleeding-issues.html

Tim

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Both my iPad 1 and iPad 2 displays are noticeable warmer when I compare them to my iMac's screen. It's not enough for me to notice unless I'm paying attention. I would not use either of them for final white point adjustments, but otherwise they are usable and don't detract from the pleasure of viewing pictures.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's normal, because it's the same on both iPad 2s that I've tried. (I returned my first to get one with more GBs.)

Both the iPad 2s I've had have screens with a decidedly yellow tint. I first noticed it when I checked out the identical Web page with my iPad 1 and iPad 2, side by side. I was testing for speed, not tint, but the difference popped out.

My iPad 1's screen appears clear white. My iPad 2's screen appears with a yellowish-gray tint. It doesn't bother me, though. I actually wanted to be able to set my iPad 1's brightness setting lower than the lowest setting, and my iPad 2's yellowish-gray tint gives me the brightness I want.

To be clear: This is a separate issue from the light bleed issue, which I'm familiar with. (Both the iPad 2s I tried had minor light bleed, which were noticeable only with a pure black screen in a darkened room. That didn't bother me.)

Last edited:

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's no colour-temperature adjustment anywhere? That's really going to p:ss off some photographers out there!

OP
D

Dearlt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So there's no colour-temperature adjustment anywhere? That's really going to p:ss off some photographers out there!

I think maybe they set it to warm to please photographers, but this sucks for me because I hate it. I'm not a photographer.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked my iPad 2 against my husband's iPad 1, and they both have the same yellowish tint. My iPad 1 is the only one that has a clear white screen.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dearlt said:
I think maybe they set it to warm to please photographers, but this sucks for me because I hate it. I'm not a photographer.

I am, and don't know many who'd be pleased by a warm screen since any shot edited on a calibrated screen will be orange on the ipad and any shots edited on the ipad but viewed elsewhere will look blue!

Most reactions

Latest posts