What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the Smart Cover offer enough protection?

Smudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hoping to purchase an Ipad 2 in the near future (as soon as I can find one). I have the opportunity to get a free Smart Cover from a co-worker. He said that I can have it but only if I am going to use it. I see him everyday so I do not want to take it from him unless I expect that it will provide sufficient protection. If I do not take it then he will give it to someone else. Does this cover basically just protect the screen? I have kids that will be using this Ipad and am thinking that maybe I need to pass up this offer and buy something with more protection. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

BangBangAnnie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 has a Smart Cover to protect the front, and a Stealth Guard skin to protect the back from scratches. When I leave the house the whole fits in a neoprene envelope.

The iPad I bought for the kids has both a skin screen protecor and is encased in an Otterbox. Should be scratch and drop proof.

I love my Smart Cover, but would still recommend something to protect the back, either skin or one of the many snap-ons meant to work with the smart cover. However, if the kids will be using it you may want something better to protect it. I can just picture them holding it by the Smart Cover and thwe magnets disengage sverl feet above a hard floor.

OP
S

Smudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking about the Switcheasy Canvas.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my fencing coach was insistant that I use the term "mask" for the fencing mask, instead of mistakingly calling it a helmet. Her argument was that calling it a helmet is flat out incorrect as masks and helmets perform different tasks. Masks cover (and often protect) the face whereas helmets cover the entire head.

Now look at covers vs. cases. Same difference. :)

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am hoping to purchase an Ipad 2 in the near future (as soon as I can find one). I have the opportunity to get a free Smart Cover from a co-worker. He said that I can have it but only if I am going to use it. I see him everyday so I do not want to take it from him unless I expect that it will provide sufficient protection. If I do not take it then he will give it to someone else. Does this cover basically just protect the screen? I have kids that will be using this Ipad and am thinking that maybe I need to pass up this offer and buy something with more protection. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks

In lieu of some witty reply ;) I will say, in all seriousness, that while I think the Smartcover provides a generally good degree of protection, I would be reluctant to give it to kids, or to adults who weren't pretty careful, because of the issue of possible catastrophic drops if the magnets let go when someone (stupidly, IMO) picks the iPad2 up by the cover. The magnets are strong, but they are not permanent.

Most reactions