What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad support OTG?

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I found a great deal on a flash drive and it says it supports devices with OTG connectivity. I want to use it to transfer files between a computer and my iPad. Does an iPad have OTG connectivity?

So far I've been doing the same thing by emailing files to myself and then picking them up on the other device, which also works great. I can continue to do it that way, I suppose. No reason to change.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found a great deal on a flash drive and it says it supports devices with OTG connectivity. I want to use it to transfer files between a computer and my iPad. Does an iPad have OTG connectivity?

So far I've been doing the same thing by emailing files to myself and then picking them up on the other device, which also works great. I can continue to do it that way, I suppose. No reason to change.
USB OTG is not compatible with iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. It is as I suspected.

Sorry, but just want to confirm Scifan..'s post - this question has come up here for years and standard USB (or variants) devices do no work w/ iDevices and iOS. Now if you want to provide more information on what types of files you want to transfer, then give us more details - may be other options?

But for those not aware of the acronym OTG, see the quote below from Google - Dave :)

USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated to USB OTG or just OTG, is a specification first used in late 2001, that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host, allowing other USB devices like a USB flash drive, digital camera, mouse, or keyboard to be attached to them.

Smart01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USB OTG is not compatible with iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones.

I have seen videos on youTube of people supposedly using OTGs to transfer .jpg files from ipads to SD cards. I want to buy/download .mp3 music files onto an ipad then transfer them straight to an .mp3 player that has a USB connector. Can I do this easily, without resorting to email like moneyguy?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen videos on youTube of people supposedly using OTGs to transfer .jpg files from ipads to SD cards. I want to buy/download .mp3 music files onto an ipad then transfer them straight to an .mp3 player that has a USB connector. Can I do this easily, without resorting to email like moneyguy?
It won't work for transfers other than pictures, despite what you saw on YouTube. Transferring data to and from an iPad via USB is officially limited to photo transfers with the camera connection kit.

Last edited:

Smart01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't work for transfers other than pictures, despite what you saw on YouTube. Transferring data to and from an iPad via USB is officially limited to photo transfers with the camera connection kit.

OK. Thank you for your help!

Most reactions