What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Apple Need the iPad 2?

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
ipad_surfing.JPG

Cnet’s Crave Blog is featuring a very interesting post that puts forward the point of view that Apple doesn’t need an iPad 2. The writer, Donald Bell, argues that the iPad is already so far ahead of the competition there’s no need for Apple to release the iPad 2 this year. The article lists all the areas in which the writer believes the iPad is still streets ahead of the likes of the Motorola Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy.

For starters, writes Bell, the iPad has apps, the sheer number and quality of which the other tablets will find it hard to match. Next up, the iPad has the iPod music player, which Bell refers to as “the world’s most popular music player and music download storeâ€, and he’s correct, of course. As he notes, you can even buy iTunes gift cards at your local supermarket, which has to be the height of ubiquity! Bell also singles out the iPad’s movie and TV downloads, desktop sync software, accessory support, games, battery life and device ecosystem as yet more reasons why Apple's tablet is still ruling the tablet roost, and set to do so for many months to come. Bell's concluding argument ventures that Apple doesn’t need to release iPad 2 to stay on top, and that the current iPad could probably maintain its position for at least another year before any other device could even hope of catching up. It’s a sound argument all right, but of course Apple has never been a company to rest on its laurels or stand still. Apple has been successful by constantly developing and innovating and staying one step ahead of the pack, which is why it will be bringing out the iPad 2 shortly, even though it doesn’t really have to.

Source: Why Apple doesn't need an iPad 2 | Crave - CNET

Thanks to HookBill for the heads-up on this story.

AceOsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think, yeah well it maybe heead of the market and more developed than others but apple aren't the sort of company that want to relax, they keep having fantastic ideas and they keep to, because they want to be further than anyone else and don't want the rest to catch up.

neur0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad needs a frontfacing camera ...

If we got a 1280x720 native screen it would be swell... aint gonna happen though ..

Anyway I think they would blow everyone out of the water if they introduced an iPad Pro running a customised Mac OS X version - but I need to wake up now LOL :)

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple could probably get away with not releasing one in the next few months. However, with a couple of impressive android tablets appearing, an iPad 2 would be needed around the summer, September at the latest.

They could even get away with not releasing iPad 2 until September, thus giving people the retina style display that is rumoured.

But to keep profits up and healthy, an April release would ensure this.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me, the first generation does way more than everything I need it to, and I like gadgets and technology. I'm not some heavy duty "road warrior" business type, but I do like to have a variety of devices. But even if I were on the road all the time, the iPad has superior battery life and this makes such a huge difference to me. I like not having to worry about charging it all the time and when I am reading in bed or surfing, it is surprising at how little power is used compared to my tablet netbook. It's much easier to use and put away. It has low cost and free apps for everything I find useful, and also transferred over my amassed collection from iPhone anyway.

Fabytm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that they really need a second gen iPad at the moment.The first gen does handle everything very well!The only thing that is missing is the front-facing camera!

Johntechwriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johntechwriter.com
Apple 2 would just be gouging us.

Apple iPod 2, coming out in the spring, will have too few extra features to make any of us own one, but it will extract more life from the current design and get a few prospective owners off the fence.

iPad 2 is in production now. The company is marking time while they design the all-new iPad 3 for release in the fall. We're going to want that one: bigger screen (don't know if form factor is bigger), retinal display, more RAM, faster processor, dual cams.

I'm a bit pissed because my plan was to sell my iPad 1 on Craigs and get a 3 right away. But now the bargain hunters will be looking for 2s and grinding us 1 owners on what they'll pay.

Still, it's the best light duty computer ever built by a huge margin and it seems to be free from major bugs or hardware reliability problems (rare for Apple). So I'm not going to let mine go cheap.

I find this stuff out the same way you do -- by cruising the reliable blogs. Plus I live in the Valley which helps a bit. One note: The 3 may lack one or two of the features I mentioned. (CYA)

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad needs a frontfacing camera ...

If we got a 1280x720 native screen it would be swell... aint gonna happen though ..

Anyway I think they would blow everyone out of the water if they introduced an iPad Pro running a customised Mac OS X version - but I need to wake up now LOL :)

For them to do 1280x720 they would have to change to a 16:9 screen format, which I doubt they will do. I think the next logical step up from the 1024x768 resolution is 1280x1024, but I don't think that will be a part of the iPad 2 update. We'll see though, hopefully soon.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think, yeah well it maybe heead of the market and more developed than others but apple aren't the sort of company that want to relax, they keep having fantastic ideas and they keep to, because they want to be further than anyone else and don't want the rest to catch up.

A lot of these things are also driven by branding and mindshare: not everyone who reads, hears or watches an iPad advertisement or news article will rush out immediately to buy one, but noteworthy events on a regular basis keeps the company and product name at the forefront of public awareness.

I would hazard a guess that if you showed the picture of an iPod or iPhone or iPad to an ordinary user at random, chances are he or she would be able to recognize and identify it - but if you showed them a non-Apple device, I wouldn't bet that many people would be able to tell you the specific maker and model offhand.

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- but if you showed them a non-Apple device, I wouldn't bet that many people would be able to tell you the specific maker and model offhand.

....chances are they would still call it an iPad. Especially the new tablets that look so much like the iPad, the average user just won't know the difference.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To a marketer, that level of brand identification is the holy grail: when people start refering to a product through its brand name - and everyone knows what you mean. ("pass me a Kleenex please"; "there's hot coffee in the Thermos"; etc)

The big hurdle for its competitors is that the iPad has had virtually the entire market to itself for the better part of a year, and even its late-arriving competitor products just aren't making the kind of splash in the same weight class. (It's like the Motorola Xoom which came out a few days ago, and immediately it's blown off the news radar by Apple's upcoming announcement a week later.)

Most reactions