What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Official Keyboard Dock for iPad 2

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_keyboard_dock.JPG

If you’ve been wanting to get an official keyboard dock for your new iPad 2, you might be disappointed to learn that Apple doesn’t intend to release one, according to a report on 9to5 Mac today. One of the website’s readers emailed Apple Senior Vice President of Marketing, Phil Schiller, and asked him when Apple would be releasing a keyboard dock for the iPad 2. Here’s Schiller’s reply:

“People prefer to use the iPad’s built in soft keyboard most of the time, it works very well. Those that do choose to use an external keyboard most often choose to use Apple’s Bluetooth wireless keyboard for the convenience it provides.â€

So I think that’s a “no†then. It sounds like there was not so much demand for the original keyboard dock, with the Bluetooth keyboard being a lot more versatile. You can’t use the dock with your iPad in a case, for example, and you can only use it in portrait mode. However, if your heart really is set on using a keyboard dock with your iPad 2, 9to5 Mac assures us that the original iPad’s keyboard dock actually works fine with the iPad 2,

Source: Schiller: No iPad 2 keyboard dock, use the soft keyboard | 9 to 5 Mac Schiller: No iPad 2 keyboard dock, use the soft keyboard | Apple Intelligence

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering about this, but have decided to go ahead and get the wireless keyboard instead. For what I use it for, the keyboard dock doesn't work. I can see how the demand wouldn't be as high as the wireless keyboard.

Sent from my iPad2 A1396 using iPF

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smart Cover

Making a dock would discourage the purchase of the smart cover, which they developed to answer the issue of not have an adequate stand. or secure one.

PeteMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
If a case, for example, and you can only use it in portrait mode. However, if your heart really is set on using a keyboard dock with your iPad 2, 9to5 Mac assures us that the original iPadÂ’s keyboard dock actually works fine with the iPad 2.

I cannot charge our iPad with the AC adaptor; I think the batteries are f*cked. A USB 2.0 port charges it. What do you think? It's just a month old.

Reaction score
PeteMoss said:
I cannot charge our iPad with the AC adaptor; I think the batteries are f*cked. A USB 2.0 port charges it. What do you think? It's just a month old.

If the ipad gets charged via USB 2.0 from a pc, then it seems unlikely that the battery is broken.

Have you tested the charger at a different wall outlet? If it still doesn't charge, you can get a replacement at an Apple Store.

PeteMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
If the ipad gets charged via USB 2.0 from a pc, then it seems unlikely that the battery is broken.

Have you tested the charger at a different wall outlet? If it still doesn't charge, you can get a replacement at an Apple Store.

Righto ... There's pry an Apple store at the Galleria Mall, Middletown, NY ... 10W? How many volts ..? Yeah, thanx 4 the crazy good idear.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Righto ... There's pry an Apple store at the Galleria Mall, Middletown, NY ... 10W? How many volts ..? Yeah, thanx 4 the crazy good idear.

We have had a couple of posts recently about faulty iPad chargers so DontUnderstandMyIpad's idea is a good one. Yes, the iPad charger is 10W and it's a universal voltage adaptor - so it will work on either 110 US outlets or the 240/250 volts in some other countries - i.e. Europe

Tim
Scotland

PeteMoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this mean, you got a replacement and can now once more charge the iPad via the wall charger? Or am I missing your point completely?

The point is ... how many volts the accessory is, 5.1V and a whopping 2.1A ... Hmmm ...

Most reactions

Latest posts