What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you rent (or buy) movies off of ITunes?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix for me. Redbox every once in a great while.

I don't buy any Apple content unless I have to, like with apps.

Diesel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
I have Netflix, but as a Canadian i'm stuck with whatever their limited online library is. I'd gladly buy a movie for here, but only if it was significantly cheaper than the physical disc. I mean, blu ray's so expensive because of the cost of the plastic disc, right...?

<glare>

Ya, I'm the same, I would buy a movie as well if there was a noticeable price difference between one here an a physical disc. That is why I got a small portable DVD player and rent movies from the Red Box (small vending type machine DVD rentals).

OP
antonio107

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every month iTunes has various movies for sale for only $4.99. This month it's comedies. Includes: Wayne's World, Sixteen Candles, Bubba Ho Tep, Road Trip, The Jerk, and Bedazzled among others. There have been some really good movies offered in the past at this price.

Hmm...that's promising. And I mean, if (God forbid) something happens to my iPad, and I have to get a new one, or I accidentally delete the file, I can just re-download it for free, right? I'm thinking like when the SD card inside my wii got fried, and I had to redownload all my games that were on it, but Nintendo didn't charge me twice. Something like that...right? This is my main concern without a physical medium.

Reaction score
Apple isn't allowed to let you redownload movies twice. If you delete the movie, you would have to pay for it again. Which is why iTunes automatically transfers purchased movies on syncing to the computer. It is essential that you make your own backup of the purchased songs and movies.

OP
antonio107

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you buy movies, you can copy from iPad to iTunes and also watch them on the computer. Only rented movies can't be transferred from the iPad to a computer.

Also, if you download an iTunes movie onto the iPad and watch it onto an extermal screen, it will have proper format, most likely widescreen. The movies are not displayed in the 4:3 iPad display ratio, if you use the HDMI connection.

As for video quality, iTunes SD videos have a somewhat lower video quality than normal DVDs and HD movies have a lower quality than Bluerays.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I've been trying this for the past 20 minutes or so, to know avail...got a walkthrough? :(

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In iTunes on the computer you need to select what movies you wish to sync by click on movies tab. This becomes available when you connect the ipad to the computer just select the ipad from devices and you will see the tab top right. I have the older version of apple tv which syncs as soon as I start iTunes I have not used the appletv new yet. Any problems ask

OP
antonio107

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iTunes on the computer you need to select what movies you wish to sync by click on movies tab. This becomes available when you connect the ipad to the computer just select the ipad from devices and you will see the tab top right. I have the older version of apple tv which syncs as soon as I start iTunes I have not used the appletv new yet. Any problems ask

Thanks, col.bris! I'll try it when I get home tomorrow. But when I saw the sync option on my IPad, it said it would wipe the movies from my iPad. Is this something I should be concerned about...?

solorca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never buy, but I will rent occasionally if I am travelling with my job. It is cheaper than renting movies through the hotel tv's. I will usually watch on the ipad, but lately, a lot of hotels have started having tv's with hdmi inputs, which is awesome.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
I looked at it the other day. The movies didn't seem to be that much cheaper than DVDs or blu-ray.

If I fill up my iPad, can I swap files onto my desktop hard drive, even if I can't watch them there? With the HDMI connection, how does the video quality compare to a disc? Does it stretch out properly, or does it make a little square like my desktop?

Some are cheaper, up to date stuff isn't I tend to buy oldies from iTunes, but rarely have more than two on my iPad at any given time. The rest live in iTunes on my PC, ready to be copied when I need them. New stuff, and compilations I want to keep are physical copies bought from a shop. Lord Of The Rings box sets, blu ray remastered, and that kind of stuff, I like to have the DVD and packaging.....being an older guy, there is plenty for me to go at! :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

leolaksi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
We cannot use either in Australia as it detects the ip location

Should consider signing for a VPN service using a server in the US.

Most reactions