What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you put it to sleep/wake or shut off??

JayCin81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering how many of you shut down your iPad every night or just put it to sleep. I use it every night for about 3 to 4 hours, but I don't use it during the day while I'm at work. I generally just shut it down every night.

Should I put it to sleep or shutdown? Pros vs. Cons?

Your thoughts?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple officially recommend that you do a complete shut-down once a week - it helps 'tidy things up' but, other than that, I don't think it really matters if, like me, you keep your iPad connected to the charger when it's not in use. I like the 'instant on' capability when recovering from sleep mode and I'd lose that if I always shut the iPad off.

Having said that, I'm sure you'll get lots of differing views here.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've got my ipad constantly on a stand on my office desk with the smart cover on, and i LOVE the instant wake/sleep functionality it gives. really handy. but i'll be shutting down and cold booting every weekend. there's no battery drain in sleep mode (not noticeable any way), and i've got it plugged into the pc most hours anyway. this doesn't top the charge up like the mains, but keeps it at a level withput the drain.

also, how do you activate this instant off/on sleep thing if you dont have a smart cover?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have the Smart Cover then a brief press to the Power button activates Sleep mode, while a prolonged push brings up the slider control asking for permission to power off.

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
but thats not the same.

briefly pressing the power button means a slide to unlock option when reactivated.
the smart cover is instant off/on where you left off. no sliding.

can this be activated without the smart cover?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry - yes, I misunderstood you.

In a bizarre sort of way the answer is yes!

I have a Bluetooth keyboard which normally 'goes to sleep' after a short period of inactivity. If the iPad is in Sleep mode, bringing the Bluetooth keyboard 'back to life' by pressing a key automatically re-activates the iPad straight to the Home screen - i.e. no slider control.

It's a dangerous thing if, like me, you have Autolock set to never and have the regular Apple case for the iPad1. With the case closed you can't see if the iPad is asleep or awake so, if you accidentally press a key on the Bluetooth keyboard and the iPad's not connected to the charger it's a sure-fire way of running your iPad battery flat....

Tim

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I shut it down every night and usually close all the open apps.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've also got my ipad set to never. it's only me at home who uses it. i'll set a pass code when i got on business with it.

so, can the instant on/off function be activated on a standard ipad2 without the smart-case or any other accessory?

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You could always carry a couple of magnets in your pocket....:)

Tim

Always a practical approach.

A magnet alone isn't particularly useful though. The magnetic sensor is about 7cm from the edge, but there is a stronger magnet, 9.5cm below the top edge, so if you where to place a magnet at the magnetic sensor, it will likely slide down to the stronger magnet and turn the iPad on.

But yes, it is a possibility, but only useful if one insists to wake the device up with a magnet. :D

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You could always carry a couple of magnets in your pocket....:)

Tim

Always a practical approach.

A magnet alone isn't particularly useful though. The magnetic sensor is about 7cm from the edge, but there is a stronger magnet, 9.5cm below the top edge, so if you where to place a magnet at the magnetic sensor, it will likely slide down to the stronger magnet and turn the iPad on.

But yes, it is a possibility, but only useful if one insists to wake the device up with a magnet. :D

Yes - now this needs some thinking about. I wonder if we could come up with a typically British 'Heath Robinson' construction?

Tim

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it's a shame that magnetic activated on/off feature couldn't also have been an invisible finger swipe option for those who dont have a smart cover or magnets hanging about in their pockets.

it's funny it's only a smart-case owner's option.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are, of course, other third-party cases out there that use the magnetic on/off feature. Some Forum members have even made their own (knitted in one case, quilted in another - do I even know what the difference is???:confused:

Tim

owenmorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use smart cover most nights to put it in sleep mode, I always close apps down at end of each use and try and to run battery completely flat then do full charge to condition battery.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts