What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need an iPad?

ivil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a special offer on an iPad 2, but I already have a MacBook Pro and and iPhone. What's the advantage (apart from it being fun) of having an iPad, too? I'm a musician, so, as far as I know I can use it to read music and for edidting it, but anything else?
Covince me, people!

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ivil said:
I have a special offer on an iPad 2, but I already have a MacBook Pro and and iPhone. What's the advantage (apart from it being fun) of having an iPad, too? I'm a musician, so, as far as I know I can use it to read music and for edidting it, but anything else?
Covince me, people!

I think it depends on what you want it for, I use mine everyday for reading the news, checking emails, writing my book, skyping my brother in Scotland, playing games, web surfing, photos, videos, watching tv, keeping up with the Olympics ..... Shall I go on? LOL

I use mine every single day, my phone is now just a phone as I do absolutely everything else on my iPad, I have hardly used my PC since I got my iPad which has made hubby happy coz now he can use the PC to his hearts content.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

OP
I

ivil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Dark.
I do most of these thinks on MacBook already (except reading magazines). You write on the pad? Did you get an extra keyboard or did you get used to the onscreen one?
Are there specific things which can only be done, or are more comfy to do, on the iPad...?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ivil said:
Thanks, Dark.
I do most of these thinks on MacBook already (except reading magazines). You write on the pad? Did you get an extra keyboard or did you get used to the onscreen one?
Are there specific things which can only be done, or are more comfy to do, on the iPad...?

I type using the iPad keyboard, I love a touch screen for typing and I am only a little slower at the moment but speeding up all the time. I sit in my armchair with the iPad resting on a cushion and type away :)

I think all comes down to personal preference, I liked touchscreen before I got the iPad, it was my main reason for getting one.

Oh I also get all my books for the iPad now, haven't bought a real one since I got this and believe me I am an avid reader, I have thousands of paperbacks littering my house which I will slowly get rid of now I can store them on the cloud.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nobody needs an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter). The only two questions you have to ask yourself regarding buying a tablet are: which one do you want and whether you can afford it or not. Tablets are toys not tools (even if they end up being valuable as tools).

OP
I

ivil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, this is what I've been thinking... Thanks for bringing us back to reality, Bocata.

Phil Evans

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ivil said:
Hmm, this is what I've been thinking... Thanks for bringing us back to reality, Bocata.

Had my iPad3 about 4 months now. I enjoy using it BUT probably won't buy another in the future. I can manage quite well with my iPhone and laptop.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BocataDeChoped said:
Nobody needs an iPad (or any other tablet for that matter). The only two questions you have to ask yourself regarding buying a tablet are: which one do you want and whether you can afford it or not. Tablets are toys not tools (even if they end up being valuable as tools).

Slightly disagree with you there, this has replaced my PC at home, iPad is far more useful to me than the PC but as I said earlier it is personal opinion and it all depends on what you want out of it. This is definitely not a toy for me.

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I think you need to speak for yourself. If you don't need one, no one is going to try to convince you otherwise. Likewise, I see no reason to convince anyone that they need anything. If you can't figure it out for yourself....well....

Jrs22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 16 gig iPad 2 in June 2011 and I used it and loved it so much that on the day the new iPad was released I was at home to accept delivery of a 64 gig model. I gave my computer-less son my old iPad. He lives on the other side of the planet so now we can Skype video chat instead of audio chat. Since then I've replaced my aging PC with a MacBook Pro so I'm not using the iPad as much. Still, I carry it about the house and use it to read newspapers, books and some forums. I write on it with a handwriting app, play games, and occasionally watch Netflix in bed. I'm learning to play Go, and the touchscreen is a more natural interface than a mouse for a board game. Plus there are apps for studying Go that aren't available on a laptop.

I think when you have both an iPad and a MBP you settle in to a routine of using each for what it's best suited for.

NanaMary

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is a tool that I use to process videos of apps in action for my website. Occasionally it is used to watch a video. It's great for moving it around the kitchen while using a recipe video, or whatever, as you can stop and restart at each step. My grandson is 4 and uses it for stories and educational apps every day since he was 2. Everyone uses it for Facetime - It's something different to many but I have found it to be of the utmost quality :thumbs:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that it is not necessarily a "need" but more the "gotta have", LOL.
Be that as it may, it is definitely a tool to me in the fact that it is portable. I have brought it to take notes in place of toting my Macbook. I have a BT keyboard that converts to a netbook like experience. I am just as fine typing on the virtual keyboard, but when I am taking a several hour procession of notes, just from an ergonomic standpoint, I'll use the keyboard. The battery life is amazing. I use Docs to Go, sync to my laptop or desktop, and now have a copy of the document saved. If I ever get to go away again anytime soon, it will go with me for e-mail and surfing. It fits right into my purse.(I have a sectioned off purse and it slides right in). At night when I check my e-mail, my iPad is right in my nightstand, and I just take it out.
At work, I need the laptop for most things. I do however, bring my iPad to meetings and use it to bring up information to report, so actually it does help there, as I don't feel like bringing my laptop to it. A lot of my colleagues still bring things with pen and paper, and I don't like to.
So in my case, it's a darn good tool at both home and work. Oh, and I can also annotate work documents on it too without printing, like when a report is sent through e-mail. I highlight and notate what I need.

colecaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Covince me, people!

No...You don't NEED one...Nobody does...

Most reactions

Latest posts