What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I get an iPad?

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This might be a dumb place to ask this question, as ya'll are probably as biased as it gets, but here goes ;)

I have an iphone 6, and a great MacBook pro. What would I use the iPad for? I'm thinking maybe reading, but I like having a physical book, plus its easier on my eyes. In my head, I'd probably get the most usage out of it by reading online articles and facebook when I'm home.

What else to people use their iPads for?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Overall I use my iPad for 4 things mainly, moderate gaming (such as Hearthstone, Clash of Clans, Fallout Shelter, and The Walking Dead, games that are light enough that they don't turn the iPad into a heatsink after a while), reading eBooks using iBooks, streaming my media using XBMC to my AppleTV, and bits of productivity activities such as using Google Drive/MEGA for data management. Web browsing/social media as well but that's of course a fair given.

If you had the 6+, I'd say you probably wouldn't need the iPad since it has a nice screen size, but at the end of the day, it's up to you what you use it for on a day-to-day basis.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes get one there great I use my iPad 4 for everything I don't even use my desk top that much anymore

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Surprise, I use mine to read forums like this one from the comfort of my living room recliner, rather than sit in an office chair in front of my iMac. It's great for looking up info on movies being watched on the TV, or for controlling playback of music files on iTunes.

On vacation, it's all I need for keeping up with email and news, as wifi is everywhere now. I do not have a cell phone or laptop. It's fabulous for sharing your vacation photos with friends.

I wasn't entirely sure what I'd use it for when I bought it, but I've never regretted the purchase. I do wish I'd gotten the cell-enabled model, mainly for its GPS receiver.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surprise, I use mine to read forums like this one from the comfort of my living room recliner, rather than sit in an office chair in front of my iMac. It's great for looking up info on movies being watched on the TV, or for controlling playback of music files on iTunes.

On vacation, it's all I need for keeping up with email and news, as wifi is everywhere now. I do not have a cell phone or laptop. It's fabulous for sharing your vacation photos with friends.

I wasn't entirely sure what I'd use it for when I bought it, but I've never regretted the purchase. I do wish I'd gotten the cell-enabled model, mainly for its GPS receiver.

Yes - cell support comes in very handy, Id never have an ipad without it! As for usage:

Reading news tabletop, playing games, reading books, music server, some general productivity, email, some photos. And other stuff. :)

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Books, forums and general web browsing. Very little in the way of any work related stuff.

OP
DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes - cell support comes in very handy, Id never have an ipad without it! As for usage:

Reading news tabletop, playing games, reading books, music server, some general productivity, email, some photos. And other stuff. :)

I'm not a huge gamer (I play Candy Crush before I go to sleep), but I'd probably end up playing a bit more games with an iPad. I'm okay with that. I'd definitely use it for reading news and other articles and websites. I really enjoy having a book in my hand when I read, so I'll probably not use the iPad for reading.

My phone has all the music I need (I have Apple Music), I don't see me using the iPad for any music stuff... even Remote, for when I'm playing music from my Mac, I'd probably still use my phone for. I'd definitely use it for email.

magnus.arvidsson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPhone 6 for small time surfing. It doesn't beat the iPad Air 2 in working. The 6+ maybe, but that's to big for phone use.
The two working as a pair coordinating email, messages and so on is the best!

Magnus the swede.

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're on the fence about getting an iPad, then just go ahead and get one! Once you get one and realize what all you can do with it, you won't regret it! Since I've bought mine, my laptop has seen very little use, mostly all it is used for now is to backup the iPad and iPhone and store my music and movie library.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts