What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Screen Repair Kits

superFlint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

My Mother recently dropped her iPad out of their truck and cracked the screen and dented the case a little in the corner. We got her a new one for her birthday and now I got the old one, I was gonna fix it for my nephew and was not sure what to order for it. It is a Model A1458, 4th generation I presume. I would get it repaired but that is crazy expensive for the model. We paid $80 more for the brand new iPad Air over the repair cost(refurbished iPad) of a 4th generation iPad.

I am wondering what parts I will need? The iPad works fine, all buttons still work, the glass is being held in by a screen protector because it is 30% shattered into a spider web. The corner got a little dent in the aluminum case but does not look like it will interfere with a reinstall. Do I need the rubber gasket that I can see a little of now or is that salvageable? It does not look harmed, yet. Tell me what I need and some links to them would be great!

Reading the reviews of the DIY kits they all got good and bad reviews, does anyone have any experience with them and what one should I buy? I got no glass removal tools except for the heat gun, so a kit with good tools would be best!

A couple of pics attached to see the damage. They did not come out the best, dang gopro, but hopefully you can see what is going on there.

Thanks for any help,
Flint!

Attachments

• GOPR4445.JPG
    GOPR4445.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 279
  • GOPR4448.JPG
    GOPR4448.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 376

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't already seen them, these are the fees Apple charges to repair the screen on an iPad. Bear in mind though, that if you have Apple do the repair, they'll also replace the case. iPad Screen Damage Repair - Apple Support

If you want to do the repair yourself, ifixit.com has video tutorials for almost any kind of iPad repair. They also sell genuine replacement parts and the tools necessary for the job.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Definitely go to iFixit.com. Avoid the Amazon and ebay kits as they are crap. In regards to the "Rubber Gasket" it is just a small plastic subframe. If you remove the old glass carefully enough you should be able to salvage it.
As someone who does ipad repairs on a daily basis, I would recommend patience and research before going the DIY method. Be mindful of the home button during the repair as there is a cable running from the left side of the home button under the glass.

OP
S

superFlint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got it ordered! Did not realize it was US site, went from $63 bucks with shipping to $90 bucks after exchange :(

Hope it works, if not 100 bucks down the drain!!!

OP
S

superFlint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks like that may have been a waste of 90 bucks and working iPad :(

Done all the steps as on ifixit and a couple youtube videos, seemed like everything was fine, didn't cut anything or break anything. Everything went back together good, the home button cable was a little difficult first, but got it after. Dry fit, power up and nothing. The power button looks fine, piece of tape over it was not even moved after getting glass off so I do not think I damaged it. Plugged it in just in case battery dead but was not.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what to try or what could be wrong? Could I have overheated with the heat gun? Was never heated too hot to touch though. I am stumped, everything looks good and the iPad worked before I started because I had to power it down.

Thanks for any help!
Flint.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First , inspect the lcd cable and connector and check to see if the cable is firmly plugged in and no debris or damage on the connector. Also check to of there are sounds coming from the iPad. If yes, Did you power the iPad off before beginning the repair? Hold the iPad up to a bright light. If you see a faint image on the screen then the backlight circuit was damaged and will need repair. If you don't see an image, try a hard reset by holding the home and power button for 10 seconds.

OP
S

superFlint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Son of a brute! Well damn that worked!!! The hard reset that is, I had already tried the reseating cables and it was powered off when repair started and no image on screen, so I went for reset and there it was, the Apple! Logged in and dragged an icon around screen and it worked so hopefully good to go now!!! I will check the sound and other buttons before I re-glue it, forgot about it then, too excited it booted up! And I was not very careful after it did not start and when I was reseating the cables got the LCD full of dirt, now gotta clean that too :( At least it works!!!

Thanks again!

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are up and running. Use a clean microfibre cloth to clean the lcd, add a drop ( a very small one ) of water if necessary. When closing up the iPad mark sure the digitizer cable is folded properly so that it doesn't pinch between the glass and metal frame. Use the heat gun to warm the adhesive which will help it stick better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts