What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disillusioned with Icloud

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Being a user of Dropbox for a good while, my hope for Icloud would be an accessible "cloud" backup for the Ipad but it is not. I just added storage to cover some important apps but wish I had spent the money with Dropbox for more storage. If you only have one Apple device it really isn't much good except for a complete restore IMO. I have a Touch and an Ipad 1 in addition to my Ipad 3 but I don't really care that they are synched. In fact, my Touch and Ipad 1 are used primarily for music and I don't use the same apps. For my husband who has an Iphone and Ipad it does keep Contacts, photos, Notes synced but to be truly useful it needs to act as a backup, accessible (I know, others see this as redundant) to restore an individual app if issues arise. I'm a longtime Windows user so much of Icloud is just not applicable for me. I'm hoping that Icloud will be revised in a more useful way.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
to be truly useful it needs to act as a backup, accessible (I know, others see this as redundant) to restore an individual app if issues arise.

Individual apps by opening up the App Store on the iPad and going to "Purchased" and then "Not on this iPad". you can then re-download any app you have purchased.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of that. I might suggest that to my friend because it usually includes previous data. However, cloud backup for me means being able to access that data--i.e., Dropbox. I use a number of apps with automatic syncing and I guess I'll continue to use it that way and assume Icloud is only helpful for restoring and upgrading. A lot of people misunderstand what Icloud actually does I suspect. However in the case of my friend, some of the entries in Notes, a native Ipad app, have disappeared and there is no way to access backups to restore the info. I've suggested using Plain Text app in the future which syncs with Dropbox.

Last edited:

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Have you downloaded/installed the Cloud control panel app for Windows? It shows up in Control Panel. You do have to be on at least Windows Vista or above. As for the backup, it is no different than plugging in the iPad to the computer and having it backup via iTunes; you still cannot restore inidivdual files/data - it is all or nothing. I have set my parents (2 iPhones and an iPad) to use the cloud for Notes, Contacts, Calendar. It has been working for them flawlessly, once set up.

I use a Microsoft Exchange Server for my Contacts, Notes, Calendar, Email, Tasks. As I do not use the Apple iWork programs (Numbers, Pages, Keynote) I dont sync any documents. I use DropBox for storage and MS Office 2011 on my MBP and Documents To Go on my iPad/iPhone.

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This actually isn't about me. Prior to IOS 6 I had to use Outlook in OFfice and use a HOme version without Outlook. However, it isn't important at all for me to sync notes, calendar, anything to my PC as I use my very fast custom PC pretty much only for PHotoprocessing in PS and Lightroom and do more complex spreadsheets. So--don't need to sync, but thanks.

I've been trying to figure out why my friend's folder in Notes has disappeared. We don't live close, she's not techy and we're trying to do this with me using Printscreens and an app (Noteshelf) where I can circle, use arrows, make notes to show her what to try.

I tried to duplicate deleting a folder in Notes by accident (I use Plaintext that automatically syncs with Dropbox for anything important) and found its basically impossible to delete a post or folder by accident. The interesting thing I found on hers is that in top left she has 'accounts' showing and I'm unsure what this is. It does not appear in my Notes (though I never use them--but I'm guessing that maybe this might be where she set up an access @icloud.com email). She doesn't remember doing this--might have occurred when we upgraded to 5 last year. She had an Ipad 1 that was upgraded to 5, she moved to an Ipad 3 via Itunes this Spring and says she has accessed the folder that disappeared in the last several weeks. Its an important folder to her--passwords for various apps, etc. (I know, I know LOL) and since it appears there is no way to access a backup where that data might be I'm at a loss.

Oh, forgote to mention, for myself I also use a Microsoft Exchange for one of mail accounts, calendars, etc. Dropbox is my main storage and I use Documents to Go also. Works for me--I'm a Win person with Win 7 Pro.

Thanks for your help--or anyone else's.

Last edited:

seeray96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad3 and an iPhone 4S. My home computer is a Mac Pro running Snow leopard, and my office computer is a MacBook Pro running Lion.
My issue is the difficulty getting my iPhone Contacts to sync with the iPad contacts. I was of the opinion that since the 4S and the iPad3 have Cloud
access, it would be easy. NOT SO! I've tried to set the iPad3 for PUSH, fetch and everything else applicable and CONTACTS will NOT sync.
Any suggestions?

OP
D

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it isn't just us either. I've read several tech blogs and columns recently that feel Icloud is not a "cloud" backup/storage as it needs to be. In fact, saw one saying Apple should buy Dropbox LOL. With Dropbox all my devices and PC sync and are accessible with the apps that have it integrated and this is the way I feel a cloud backup/storage should work. I expect Apple will comtinue to get pressure on improving Icloud as it has with Maps but for now it just falls short.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple already tried to buy Dropbox. Not for sale.

Most reactions