What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difficulties pairing Apple Bluetooth keyboard to iPad 3rd GEN

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my new iPad 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Gen for a week. It is some much faster than my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Gen iPad and the screen is incredibly sharp. OK, enough gushing over this thing.

While I had my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Gen iPad, I paired the Apple Bluetooth keyboard (A1314) used it for the last 12 months with no issues. Before heading to class the other night, I am an adult student finishing two Bachelors degrees, I went to pair the A1314 to the iPad 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Gen. I did not have any luck. This left me with no choice but to take notes old school with a pen and paper, not acceptable:mad:

Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you resolve this?

Thanks,
iCrush

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, that is weird. Because my Apple keyboard (same model) just paired up right away with my iPad3.

So, let's walk through what I did, and maybe that'll help. Go to Settings > General > Bluetooth and turn Bluetooth on. Then, turn on the keyboard. I got the four-digit code right off and am now typing away. I also turned off Bluetooth and when I turned it on, it automatically found the keyboard. Same thing if I turned off/on the keyboard.

Which, obviously, doesn't help you. So, maybe you need to start over? First, try to "forget" the device, then try to hook it up. Or, do either a restart or reset of the iPad (essentially, reboot it to make it behave correctly).

Since I can't duplicate, I really can't help. But, maybe some of these suggestions will? Give them a try and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
I

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done all of these things. I am sorry, I should have included those details in my posting.

OP
I

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did not spend that much more time dealing with this issue. I did try to pair the keyboard with my iPhone4, had the same issue. Tried to pair with my wife’s iPad 3rd gen, and her iPhone4, still the same issue. I just sucked it up and got a replacement, however, this time I got the Logitech Tablet Keyboard For iPad. When I got home, I followed the instructions and I was paired and connected in less time than to took to get the keyboard out of the cardboard box that was inside the nicely branded Logitech packaging.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess you just may have had a dodgy keyboard.

Regardless, I am glad you got it sorted. I like the Logitech stuff too...

Marilyn

KevinGrunert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple Keyboard to iPad 3

If you're still having problems with this, check out this post on my blog where I discuss how to fix this issue:

[Moderator edit: Removed link to personal blog site. Please read our rules. Thanks.]

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts